Input please??? pics

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by liz, Jun 11, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Heres a few pics of part of my property....I would love to permanently fence in the area for the goats but hubby says no and the "temporary" type fence I would like to use just isn't affordable at this time....how would you keep your goats "up there" without going into debt or having permanent fences? Mine ALWAYS go to MY yard and will not go to the shade of the trees or even manage to browse their way up there without me being a constant "goat herder" to keep them off of my young trees I have planted in my yard. Also, there is no shade on this hillside til after 5pm except in the trees which they refuse to go to!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    You know they have this plastic mesh, I think I saw it at Home Depot. I was thinking about trying it in the "back forty", actually back three. It's so thick back there (not nice and neat like yours) I'd hardly need any posts. But, you could get those cheapy plastic ones. Oh well, I was just wondering out loud...I'll be looking for others suggestions, good luck.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I tried the plastic mesh type safety/snow fencing...the fiberglass posts held fine but they went thru it....it was not verty strong and the suns warmth made the plastic soft so it stretched...I did think of the type of mesh for keeping deer out of orchards and such, but I don't know if it will keep a determined doe in!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what about temperary electric fencing? it comes in like ribbons and you use these special stakes that have slots in them so you can determin how high and low you want to run it. I figure (could be wrong here) that being wider then just normal electric strand it would be more of a deterant (but you would need a strong shock --- one for cattle instead of horses)

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I thot of electric also but right now the power I have in the barn comes from an extension cord I plug in at my back door before I go up to feed and milk. :shrug:

6. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I run electric fencing, but I only had to leave it turned on long enough for the goats to learn it was HOT. Now I leave it turned off and noone bothers the fence wire, not even the poultry they just duck

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I need to find out if an extention cord is bad for electric fencing ---- because that is my only option too

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You could look into a solar powered electric charger. Not sure if its as strong.

9. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    You can use an energizer that uses a battery. You'd have to buy a new one each year, but they aren't as expensive as the solar charger (ouch)...anyone use one of these?

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Electric is what I had considered but for some reason I would feel safer with "more" in between the bucks and does than just a few strands of wire.

Cattle panels are out as the squares are too big, the kids go thru them and well, my pygmy buck has had to be cut out of them one time too many....hog panels are smaller at the bottom but get bigger as they go up....and are $25.00 cheaper than the goat panels I'm using for their pens...With a non permanent moveable fence I can let them eat til their hearts content and not worry about them...they would have a pavillion type shelter from the sun and I wouldn't be needing to give as much hay in the summer!

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well, hubby decided to run power to the barn permanently so we pretty much decided on electric...portable and easily managed...we were for- warned however that the goats would need to be trained to it and it had to be properly grounded to work efficiently.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thatsgreat liz, I wish in my new barn (whenever that is) I was going to get electricity but I don't think so :sigh: I know my dad has talked about it in the past but recently decided against it , but he could change his mind back again :greengrin: