The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a two week old bottle baby doe. She has swollen knees and “scoots” around, she has been this way for a week, she has been treated with banamine and draxxin. She eats well 9ounces four times a day. She has been to a vet, cord looked good. Any suggestions? Is there hope? Or am I making her suffer? Other then swollen knees and not walking she seems “happy”

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
How much does your bottle baby weigh? Did she spend any time with the dam after she was born and get the first milk? What is her temperature and is their any heat coming off of the swollen knees? Has she ever been given any selenium and vitamin E supplements?

P.S. :hello: Welcome to The Goat Spot.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
I haven't read that Draxxin is effective for Joint Ill. Did your veterinarian suspect Joint Ill or just prescribed Draxxin to cover some bases?

I would call the veterinarian back and let then know there are been no improvement and ask for Baytril 100.

https://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/jointill.html

·
Registered
247 Posts
I’ve seen this happen before, and it was because bacteria somehow got into the umbilical cord when the kid was born and that bacteria travels to the smallest veins located in the joints.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts