INSANE amount of discharge from female goat, help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Zippy Two Dogs, May 4, 2020.

1. Zippy Two Dogs

Zippy Two Dogs New Member

May 4, 2020
    Georgia
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Hello Goat Spot! First timer here, 5 goat herd in GA--1 female 4 males.

This morning our female goat left approximately ~2 cups' worth of discharge all around the pen. It has the consistency of egg whites, and no smell. I can't find anything online about this sort of sheer AMOUNT of discharge.

She seems ostensibly fine, eating and acting normal. She's just covered in mud and discharge. All our males are wethered so no chance she's pregnant, excepting immaculate conception...

She has sort of -looked- pregnant for a few months, and today she is substantially slimmer, like she was blocked up by something.

As i'm typing this i just watched a bunch more discharge pour out of her vagina and she turned and licked some of it off the ground. The photo looks like bad scours but it's just mud.

We gave the CDT vaccine last week. She has some signs of copper deficiency and i was planning to supplement this week. Could it be some sort of infection? A reaction to the CDT? An insane heat?

Should i give Bounce Back, or antibiotics, or....? I don't know what to do, please help! Thank you!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. Zippy Two Dogs

May 4, 2020
    Georgia
    Title should say *amount of, sorry newbie here!

3. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    That is odd. Sorry i dont have any answers for you, but hopefully someone wil.

Moers kiko boars and GoofyGoat like this.
  4. Zippy Two Dogs

May 4, 2020
    Georgia
    Thanks for responding anyway!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. Zippy Two Dogs

May 4, 2020
    Georgia
    We are trying to find a good large animal vet. Unfortunately the mobile vet we used for a while didn't actually know much about goats. We got to a point where we knew much more about their care than she did.

7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Wow... I've never seen anything like that. Almost looks like she had some kind of massive abscess inside that ruptured and is cleaning out. That is very strange for sure. Have you taken her body temp? Curious if her temp is fine despite acting fine.
    Honestly, I would consult with a vet and try to get her checked out. I'm wondering if she might need a round of antibiotics. So hard to know. Hopefully someone else might have a better idea of what is going on.

8. Zippy Two Dogs

May 4, 2020
    Georgia
    Haven't taken her temp--gonna give her some Bounce Back and go buy a thermometer to check. We do have antibiotics on hand, enough for two weeks. I'm wondering if I should call the vet we used to use... I just don't really trust her when it comes to our goaties :-/

Moers kiko boars and GoofyGoat like this.
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree on getting a temp right away.

A vet would be very wise, if you can find one.

10. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    How odd. Does the discharge have a smell? Is it more like mucus? Pus? It looks like curdled milk. It would be worth trying to get a sample to send to a lab and see what they find.

11. Zippy Two Dogs

May 4, 2020
    Georgia
    No smell. It is like whipped egg white, not really like pus or mucus. Spoke with the large animal department at Auburn Uni and they believe it's a pseudopregnancy, where fluid accumulates in the uterus over months and then eventually ruptures. If that's actually what it is, apparently it's not a crisis and is self-correcting.

Our girl was not raised around people and is very skittish about being touched. I was able to get her to drink some water, some Bounce Back mixed with molasses, and eat some goat treats, but wasn't able to catch her to take temperature. She is still acting normal and eating hay as i type.

If anyone has goat vet recommendations in Atlanta, GA it would be much appreciated! I'll continue to try reaching out to Extension Services but who knows when i'll get a call back in these crazy quarantine times.

Thanks for all the comments, y'all are a wonderful community.

12. Zippy Two Dogs

May 4, 2020
    Georgia
    Oh, and we did take a sample so hopefully can get it tested!

13. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Ah yes, a cloudburst pregnancy. Those are rare, but it would make sense. I'm glad it doesn't stink or look like it has pus in it--that would be a bad sign!

14. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    When was the last time she was wormed?

15. Zippy Two Dogs

May 4, 2020
    Georgia
    Last March with Panacur. We've been doing FAMACHA since then and getting ready to do a round of Ivermectin for her and two of the boys.