Insect Repellents

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Harborsite, May 17, 2019.

1. Harborsite

Harborsite Member

May 11, 2019
    NWGA
    I’m needing to get more “fly spray” for my horses. I want to get something that works for a while and I can also use on my goats. Looking at E3 Elite - it’s all natural and repel biting insects (mosquitoes, no see-ums, chiggers, ticks, deer fly.
    Ingredients: water, citronella oil, peppermint oil, cedar oil, rosemary oil, xantham gum

Anything look dangerous to my girls?

2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I use Flick's essential oils for my goats - I get it from Jeffers. I use very sparsely and have never had a problem

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
  4. Harborsite

Harborsite Member

May 11, 2019
    NWGA
    I had that in my “basket” online and replaced with E3 .
    Guess I’ll buy that one too and see which works best on my boys (horses). I’ll just use Equiderma in my girls (goats).

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  5. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    How frequently do you have to re-apply? Every day?

6. littleheathens

littleheathens Active Member

Apr 27, 2019
    south central WI
    Is cedar oil bad for goats? I'd try to avoid any animal inhaling most EO mist in general but wondered if there was something specific with the cedar.

7. elvis&oliver

elvis&oliver Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Pa
    I use Endure on my horse or Fly-Z which is natural. They both work great. If you’re looking for something that you don’t need to reapply daily there are drops you can put down the top line. Most horses roll or sweat a little and the spray wears off after a day or 2.

8. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    To be honest, I’m not sure. I’ve heard mixed things. I’ve heard that it causes respiratory issues, and I’ve also heard of people using it/fly sprays with it on their goats with no problems. I think it’s sort of a “use at your own risk” sort of thing, I honestly don’t know if it does harm or not. But since I’ve heard a couple things, I don’t like to risk it.

Most EO mists are fine in general. A lot of oils can be put onto the nostrils of a goat to HELP with breathing issues. It depends on the oil, but a lot are really helpful.

littleheathens likes this.
  9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    We used to put kerosene on horses to keep the flies off. I suppose that is frowned on, now! (We didn't have mosquitos, they sprayed DDT!). :omg:

GoofyGoat and Dwarf Dad like this.
  10. grace4every1

grace4every1 New Member

May 1, 2019
    Franklin, TN
    Would you mind sharing the concoction for your homemade fly spray? I only have two little Nigerian Dwarfs and I'm putting DE on them for fleas but I don't think it helps for flies.

11. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    No DE won’t work for flies.

12. jodane

jodane Active Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Alpharetta, GA
    I've been doing something similar to the natural fly spray for fleas on the LGD's and inadvertently discovered that it keeps the flies off the dogs too. Every summer we've had problems with the flies eating the poor dogs nose and ears until they were raw and bleeding, we've tried everything to keep them off and this works! Here's my recipe which I put a few drops in my gloved hand and rub on the dogs daily and it's keeping the flies away.

ratio of 8 to 1. 8 parts of any carrier oil like vegetable, grapeseed, olive...anything you want to use that's inexpensive, to 1 essential oils.
    I use equal measurments of
    Lemongrass oil, cedar oil, Rosemary oil, lavender oil, peppermint oil

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  13. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing! I will certainly try this.