Instapot to Pasteurize?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Michaela Van Mecl, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Who uses the instapot to pasteurize milk?

Do you like it? How much can you do at a time?

Instant Pot Ultra 10-in-1 is what I'm looking at =)

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I've been wanting to try to make yogurt but haven't tried it yet. I would think you could use it for pasteurizing but not sure.

3. KST Goat Farm

KST Goat Farm Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2019
    NE Colorado
    I have tried pasteurizeing milk in an Instant pot. I did a full gallon. When it was done, it tastes sour but it was fresh when I put it in. I only did it once so I don't know if I did something wrong or what.
    I would say if you have milk to spare, try it. You might have better luck that me.
    You can always use sour milk in other recipes so it is not like it would be totally ruined.

4. KST Goat Farm

KST Goat Farm Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2019
    NE Colorado
    I have made yogurt it an instant pot a couple times. I really like it. It is really easy.

ksalvagno and Iluvlilly! like this.
  5. Vaught003

Vaught003 Member

Jan 4, 2021
    Virginia
    Yes. I bought an instant pot for this purpose and use it daily for pasteurizing. I fell in love with it for cooking as well.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  6. fcdairygoats

fcdairygoats Active Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Indiana
    How do you use it to pasteurize milk?

7. Vaught003

Vaught003 Member

Jan 4, 2021
    Virginia
    It’s under the yogurt function. It brings the milk up to temp and holds it there for the correct amount of time. Then you just have to bring the temp down within a certain amount of time. I do that by putting a jar with the milk in ice water.

8. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    If your goat is healthy then why do you want to pasteurize it? I know to kill any germs ! right ? Why bother just buy store milk and be done. You kill the good parts by the pasteurizing process.

9. dldolan

dldolan Active Member

Jan 19, 2017
    North Bay, California
    I also pasteurize, many of us do, so no need to be rude, TexasGoatMan. Regardless of how clean you work, there is always a chance. I do a low-temp pasteurization, so am excited to hear about the Insta-pot! Thanks Vaught003!