Colorado Interest in Trained Driving Team?

Discussion in 'Goats For Sale' started by Damfino, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I'm just putting some feelers out here to see if anyone is interested in purchasing a trained team of harness goats. We're considering selling our Nubian bucks, Rocky and Rambo, this spring. I would be fine selling them as breeding bucks if anyone is interested, but I'm also considering wethering them and training them as a driving pair because I think they would be an awesome team. I don't have photos handy, but Rambo is pure black with a few white spots, gray speckled ears, and white spots on his face. He has a beautiful head. Rambo is red with a white belt and red ears. He has a more typically Roman-nosed Nubian head. Both boys are extremely gentle and well-mannered (especially for bucks!). They are good friends with each other and well matched physically. They will be two years old around April 1st. I don't have a price on them at this time but I am curious if anyone is even remotely interested. I'm located in Colorado. Here is a video of the team we trained last year:

groovyoldlady likes this.
  2. Einhorn

Einhorn Active Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Awesome! They look great. Do goats have a bar like horses for the bit?

3. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Yes, for team driving we use mullen mouth bits, which have no joint in the middle. For single driving I often use a halter (although halters are a bit problematic with Nubians and their Roman noses).

I'd like to clarify that the team shown in the video above is NOT the team that is for sale. I just wanted to show that I am capable of training a team of goats to drive. The video above was shot when those particular goats had been in training for only about two months.

4. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    How many pounds can a goat pull. is it the same as horses three times there weight.

5. PB_Nubians

PB_Nubians Member

Jan 17, 2017
    OHIO
    I have no idea what goats can pull but your figure of 3 times the body weight for horses is inaccurate. I have been around pulling horses and ponies my whole life and I currently pull miniature ponies. I have a 34" team that may weigh 700lbs. as a team and I have successfully crossed 3,000 pounds with them. They may pull more but did not have to hook again to win the contest.
    As far as the team of goats goes it looks very fun.
    God Bless

6. goat girls

goat girls Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    Goats can pull up to 1 1/2 times there own weight.

7. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Yeah, goats aren't as strong as horses. About 1 1/2 times their weight is about right. Two full-sized Nubian goats would be able to pull about 600-700 lbs. It more about the novelty and fun factor than their practical working ability. ;)