The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased several registered pygmys and Nigerians and some pygmy x Nigerians. And I am interested in breeding my does in the fall so I am just trying to learn the proper way to do it so that I know when they will kid.as I have learned that it is very very stressful not knowing. I have recently experienced several kiddings from does that we're already bred before I purchased them. I have a registered nigerian buck and also a registered pygmy buck and would like to start breeding them. I would like as much info as possible before I do so.as of now my bucks have their own pens.im sure everyone has different ways of doing things and would like to figure out a plan hat is best for me and my herd.

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,019 Posts
They will kid about 145-155 days after breeding, so to calculate due date, most people count 150 days.

You can just put your buck in with your does and have an approximate due date, or you can wait till the doe is in heat and have an exact due date.
IDK if you know how to tell if a doe is in heat, so just in case, here goes. (1) She may be a little swollen/pink under her tail and have some discharge. (2) She may be moody and try to mount other goats. (3) She will stand and let other goats mount her, and will not butt them off. (4) When in the presence of a buck, or anything that smells like a buck (such as a rag that has been rubbed over him), she'll stand and wag her tail. 3 and 4 are the most reliable signs.

Some people say there are things you can do to increase your doeling ratio. Apple cider vinegar (ACV) in the water at breeding time, or an ACV ****** (oops, it blanked out the word!) for the doe just before breeding; or breeding just once at the very beginning of the heat. IDK if these are effective or not. I have tried the ACV in the water and the breeding at the beginning of the heat, and still get about a 50/50 ratio, but I haven't had a whole lot of kids born here, so I don't know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have done this two ways so far.
1. I let the buck run with the does. If I was lucky I would see the buck breeding an individual doe and I would know the aprox. due date. If I didn't see him breed, then it was a guessing game. This way is OK IF you don't care when the kids are born. If you want to know the aprox. due date then do....

2. I separated the buck from the does. When the does acted like they were in season I led them out on a lead (all my does have collars) and tied her up on the fence. Buck would come over and if she was ready, they bred. if she wasn't, I put her back in her pen. Once a good cover was made, then I would count 150 days from that date. My girls seem to go at that 150 day mark.

·
Super Moderator
59,770 Posts
I prefer to catch the girls in heat and then breed. But sometimes you just have to run the buck with them or a particular girl.

You could also daily behavior test if you aren't catching a girl in heat. You would just bring the buck over and see how he reacts to her and go from there.

·
1,524 Posts
Depending on the does, I do a couple of methods.

I had to start all over again with does, some of who are CAE+. I want to eventually have a CAE- herd again. So, I will hand breed my does, mark the date and make sure I am there when they kid to pull the doe kids (my bucklings go for meat) and raise on pasturized.

I have also pen bred, but since I have a very small place, I can keep an eye on them and know when they were bred. Again, I'd mark it on the calendar and be there when they kid.

When my late herd was here, they were CAE - and I was able to pen breed and not worry about pulling the doe kids.

I think everyone does things a bit different, because of schedules, disease prevention, types (dairy vs meat vs fiber vs pets) and location (north vs south/ east vs west). For me, early spring kidding cna happen in a blizzard, so I need ot know when they might kid. For someone in the sunny south, that may not be an issue. You can try different methods and will eventually find a way that fits for you and your farm.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I put the buck in with the does for 2 months, pull the buck, and start watching the girls 5 months less 1 week later. So far my girls always start kidding right around the 5 months later date, and are done within about 2-3 weeks.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
With my job, it's easier for me to be here with my girls if I know when they should be due so my boys have their very own pen, pasture and shed and when my girls are showing heat signs during the month I want them bred, I lead the chosen boy by leash to her and allow at least 2 breedings to take place, another a few hours later and if she's still receptive the next day I take the buck to her again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts