Interesting fact

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by goathappy, Jul 20, 2009.

1. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I had to go to the doctor's today and I was reading a magazine while I was waiting and there was a little article in there that said the effects of global warming could be reduced if everybody were to paint the roofs of their houses and other buildings white. It was some study conducted in England I think, and they said that the cooling effects of painting all roofs white would be the equivalent of turning every car off for the next decade. Interesting huh? :)

2. citylights

citylights New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hmm..thats interesting!

although I dont think our log house would look good with a white roof!

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is ......very interesting..... :wink: :greengrin:

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Interesting....my barn roof is white painted tin, so thats a start!

6. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    3 of our barns are white! :wink:

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    All of our barn roofs are silver(most outbuildings are silver or white anyway) and silver has the same effect as white. Another thing to think about, in the summer it would save a lot of energy with cooling houses because you don't have a big dark black roof absorbing all the sunlight on your house :)

8. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    We just reroofed our house with a really light grey colored shingle, the old shingles were black. I think that it's made a difference, the house seems to be staying cooler this summer. So, I'm thinking that what you posted makes a whole lot of sense!

9. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    wow, that's pretty cool and it really des make a lot of sense... :) I think my house wold look really funny with a white roof too though.