interesting

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatshows, Feb 13, 2009.

1. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    i was looking on petfindr to see all the goats they had and they have some that have been in a herd exposed to cl and they are saying that if you adopt on of thoses goats it needs to go to a home without any other goats or sheep.
    they are just asking for those goats to get sick they need companions they are herd animals!

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    I've looked over that website in the past. I've also seen goats advertized that were "rescued" from auctions. It's really a shame they try and sell these goats to pet homes. New goat owners don't need to be dealing with diseased goats and contaminating their land with them. It seems that some people lose track of the fact that goats are livestock and that some are really better off going to the meat buyer.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, if they're going to be saving goats from auctions they might as well start saving cattle from auctions. Goats are livestock and have the same feelings of a cow. People should realize this. Goats won't do good at all by themselves. Goatshows: you might even want to contact the rescue and tell them that. If I have a potential buyer and they say they're only interested in one and they don't have other goats I won't sell the goat to them and I give them a big disount if they take a pair. Goats just won't thrive at all without a buddy.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have seen those two. Usualy it is a whole herd was contaminated and they are adopting them out (strange but true). I believe the feeling is that they can go together but not where any other goats or sheep are - ie disease free animals. Thats what I got from them when I read it. :shrug:

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    There are some people who are willing to take a "herd" or a few of animals that have a disease for the life of the animal.

CL, although a nasty disease, is not a disease that typically withers the animal away and the animal is in pain. There are many, MANY herds of meat goats, typically Boer, that has CL and the through of these are that as long as they have no more then 3 abscesses at slaughter, the meat is ok - so there is no need to cull the ones that are positive or showing signs of CL.

CL, technically is a manageable disease, however, I personally, like most of you, do not want it in my herd. But there are animals who are positive for CL that live perfectly happy and healthy lives with only have the initial abscess and then never having another again.

If someone is willing to take the animals, knows about the disease, is willing to isolate, clean, and heal the abscess should it arise, then there is no reason that the goats can not live a happy and healthy life, IMHO.

I know that there are some that are totally against my thoughts, and that is ok - but please look at both sides. These animals DEFINITELY can live a long life as great pets if in the correct situation. And until a complete vaccine is made for goats, this is going to be a reality. There are many many herds infected with CL in my region, and until people are educated that "you can't claim CL negative just because you haven't seen an abcess" mentality - we will have more - but I am working hard in my area to promote testing and education on goat diseases, especially CL.

6. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Ignorance showing here... what is CL?

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    CL is Caseous Lyphonitis. It causes abscess on the lymphatic system.

It is highly transferable if a goat (or sheep) has an abscess that ruptures and lets the insides (looks like dried cottage cheese) into the area occupied by other animals.

It also has possibility links to pidgion fever in horses - but not confirmed. There is no vaccine at this time for goats, however, there are some (like myself) who do use the sheep vaccine for their herd (which is highly debatable - but that is another thread)

8. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Thank you. So, Kelebek, my horse had pigeon fever about five years ago. She had the huge abscess that drained on the ground around the pasture. Do I need to be concerned about my goats running around and eating in those areas after all this time?

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    You know - I have never researched it totally, so I would call WADDL (Washington State Diagnostic Lab) at 509-335-9696 Ask for Dr. Kevin (don't know his last name, it is really hard to pronounce). He is very knowledgeable about CL.