internal and external parasites treat at same time???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by boeredinoh, Mar 21, 2012.

1. boeredinoh

boeredinoh New Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Hey Folks!

Last night i was was holding a new baby, and found "sores" in his armpits and then three little sores on his neck. I looked real close at the sores trying to figure out what had caused them and realized he was really swollen around the ones on his neck, then i saw the [email protected]%&*#& lice. So the lucky herd and barn gets to be treated for lice tonight. :eyeroll:

So i was searching for what everyone else uses, thinking i'd try something new, and i stumbled upon someone saying something about treating for worms with one thing and treating for lice/mites with another at the same time could poison the goat.......anyone know about this?
    And if the lice would cause the small sores?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Not real positive on the combination of parasite meds causing an issue but I do know that if you want to worm and treat for lice/mites at the same time, it's best to dose with Ivermectin injected.

With new kids however I'd be one to not worm or inject...I'd use a dust for lice on them sparingly as well as dusting the living area....keeping goats out while it's done.

3. boeredinoh

boeredinoh New Member

Sep 3, 2009
    yeah, I was going to use my normal Durasect pour on for the lice, but then thought i might as well worm everyone (meaning the does) with Ivermec Plus orally while I had help.

Now, i'm all nervous to do both at once, and I think because the babies are so young i will probably use the python dust on them.

this time of year is just horrible for all sorts of nasty bugs and things.

4. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    I was told the ivermectin pour-on or injectable given orally would work for lice too. My vet looked it up and gave me the dosages for both. Did we get wrong information on that???? The info Doc got came from a goat vet.

5. boeredinoh

boeredinoh New Member

Sep 3, 2009
    i'm not sure. I think there was a pretty big discussion about that on here a while ago. I don't remember what the final dicision on what works the best was though.....I personally use the ivermect plus as an internal parasite control and use something else for external. If it does work for both when given orally i'd like to know that. It could save me some $$