Interpreting goat behavior and communication.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by CrockettsLastStand, Jun 30, 2010.

1. CrockettsLastStand

CrockettsLastStand New Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Epping, NH
    Is there an online reference for interpreting goat behavior and communication?

We all know that a dog wagging its tail means it's happy, but what about goats wagging tails?

What about stomping its front hoof? Is he upset or something else?

What about kicking his own butt with his rear leg?

Shaking head back and forth?

and other things too.

I want to know my goats better and understand what they're trying to tell me, or if something's bothering them.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Stomping their feet usually means theres a bug on them...goats will wiggle their tails when they know you have something they want, never seen one kick it's own butt...mine will scratch their bellies, ears, shoulders and front legs with a rear hoof.
    Shaking their heads ....hmmm....mine will do this upon rising as well as when theres a fly buzzing around.

3. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    If I am slow with Ben's bottle, he hits me with his front leg. It means: "Hey, mom? Mom? Mama? Mommy? MOM!" (tap leg, I look down "What?") "Can I have that?" (tail wag) cause he's being cute.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Tail wagging can be like Liz said... they want something...I do find.. they wag their tails.... when you are petting or scratching them..... could mean joy ..... :greengrin:
    They also wag tails.... if in season to...

Stomping front hoof...yep... I agree... they may have a bug bugging them....

Kicking butt...hmmm... :scratch: never seen that.... :shrug:

Shaking head back and forth....could be bugs buzzing around them or ear mites....

5. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Mine stomp for ginger snap cookies so it makes it easy to give them their herbal dewormer as I put a little ginger in it and they love the stuff.