The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three wethers purely for personal companionship in hiking and live in Utah.

I have checked the Idaho regulations as best I know how, and think that the wethers are exempt from the livestock transport rules because they are not breed stock. However, do I still need to stop at the livestock inspection station on my way in?

They are still a bit young to actually pack right now but when they are able, Nevada, Wyoming, and Colorado are within ranges where I would be tempted to take them.

Is there a central place where we can check the rules for bringing our buddies into these states?

·
Registered
77 Posts
We just call the state ag extension office when we want to know the rules.

I've traveled with everything from dogs and horses to llamas and snakes. They have been very helpful about neighboring states too, typically checking along the route we are taking and phoning us back with the information.

Be sure they know that the goats will be traveling with you, rather than a commercial shipper. The state by state rules for horses are radically different if you are transporting personal pets, as opposed to shipping them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.