The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI every one. :wave: Been lurking for the last few days reading every thing I can find about goats.
Recently found a small place that will do as a mini homestead/ farm. The idea for immediate plans once I get human needs under control are get things set up to have 2 goats as part of the starter heard for now after I get shelter, fencing etc all put in place. Over all plans are typical, fence in the gardens etc and let 4 footed animals free range. Thinking mini donkey for guard animal or if i can swing it one of the goat guard breeds of dogs.

Have been researching the livestock aspect of this off and on for years but no hands on experience as far as livestock or goats go.
Been reading the set ups you all have as far as what is needed to get started as far as things you definitely want to have on hand and I'm thinking this is more complex then i had originally thought. It is still doable. just need to plan on having more set up to start as far as whats on hand. An wondering if any of you that use herbal remedies know any thing about chaparral and comfrey? Have been using them for years on our self and dogs. Wonder if they are safe for goats?

Have been thinking breeds. Pretty much decided on Lamachas or Lamacha nub crosses that have inherited the longer coats, since they have longer coats, have a higher milk fat level for butter and cheese, good milkers. i'm going to be off grid completely for a while any way, so not having to heat barns with power is going to be a major concern for now.

Been a big fan of goat milk for years. Cold and fresh has nothing to compete with it! Been stuck with getting the dry powder and while it is definitely OK, its not what I want. For now am just planning on producing enough for my own use, with extra going into making cheese and butter. If things take off and I decide to make products for sale, will take that on an as needed items later. Found separators online for under 200.00 so that will help.

The general idea is let them free range as I get sections fenced off. Thinking 1/2 acre a a time to start, with solar electric wires at top and bottom of fence lines to keep the little buggers inside the pens. Once I have basics set up and a proper coop built, chickens are going to have moveable pens to stop the problem of having chicken poop all over the goat areas and every where else. I read that thread and that is NOT going to happen if I have a say in it!

Looking forward to getting to know you all better.

·
8,476 Posts
Welcome! Goats need food, shelter and fresh water. A place to get out of the wind is very
important. There are many sites telling what sorts of herbs to use on goats and for what.

As with any livestock site, most of the things posted are the problems. People don't write about non-problems! So, for every problem you see, there are a hundred goats with absolutely nothing wrong with them, happily eating, ruminating, reproducing, kidding and milking. Don't be too concerned about problems, just be aware of what can happen and have supplies on hand, just in case! (and come to TGS and find answer!)

An important thing with fencing, not only do you want to keep goats in, you have to keep predators out. Depending on your location, the fence will have to be able to prevent your predators and dogs. More pet dogs kill livestock than any wild critters.

One last thing, when you decide to get goats, get quality healthy animals. The old adage "you get what you pay for" is really true with goats. Don't get someone's problem animal!

Good luck with your endevour! I envy your "off the grid" lifestyle! I lived that way, years ago in Colorado. I called it "too poor to afford a house in Vail!" :lol:

·
Registered
328 Posts
I had goats for 10 years without a problem, but it was definitely a case of when it rains, it pours for me and I have found this to be an incredible resource and the people here are super nice and helpful.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Welcome to The Goat Spot! ::p: I'm sure you will find lots of good info on here. Good Luck.:wave:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcomes. I've been doing some research. On the list of things I'm not planning on doing is, auctions, Craigslist ( unless it is just a link to a breeder in my area). Was hoping to start with a pair of does, preferably in milk. Prices have sure gone up since last time I looked at this. WOW! It is going to take a bit more cash but what I have in mind is checking out the breeders I have found in my area. Hopefully I can find one who does not mind being a mentor & that does stud service. if I cant quite swing a pair in milk, shoot for either a doeling or a doe and a weather to start out. Using stud services or learning how to do AI is going to have to be part of this for now. I can't see dealing with a buck for just one doe or even two at first.
The big debate I am having with myself is can I slaughter an animal I have raised to eat it. If they get named it is going to have to be names like supper, lunch and chops or I will never be able to do it. Then the debate becomes do I go with registered with the idea I may want to sell off spring since I'm not planning on having a large herd for a while, OR do I go ahead and spend the extra with the idea of down the road, if things go well I may end up doing something on a commercial level as far as cheese, butter etc. Its the same work to raise goats whether they are registered or grade. The good news is I dont have to make that decision for now. It's down the road since getting human needs is first on the agenda.
Decisions.... Decisions..... The good news is I found this group! WOW! It's a literal encyclopedia at my finger tips! Been reading post and am learning so much I had not even thought about!
RE: "to poor to buy a house in Vail". I feel ya! Priorities...... It all boils down to priorities.
Thank all for having this site. It is so well appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
I grow Comfrey as feed for the goats and chickens. They love it.

Be careful having donkeys and dogs together. A lot of donks hate dogs and will kill dogs, even if the dogs are supposed to be there and are not aggressive.

It took me 30 years of goat ownership before I could bring myself to eat one of my goats. The meat is great and now I raise 2 every year for freezer camp.

I started out with registered animals, I always do when at all possible. I like to know bloodlines and don't want to take the chance of accidentally inbreeding.

Welcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The more I think about what you said about accidental inbreeding, the more it makes sense. Registered it is. The good news is I found out the property I got has fence line on two sides that connects ( fingers crossed) at the corner. I figure it is probably simply barbed wire which wont work with goats, but hopefully it has real fence post at the corners and spaced right for what i need to put in place? Yes, I dare to dream. LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.