The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am from NJ and have 3 female goats. A 4 yr old LaMancha named Quita and her almost 7 month old baby (1/2 Pygmy 1/2 Lamancha) named Leah and a 2 year old LaMancha named Chocolate. We have only owned goats for a little over a year now and I am still very new to all these things but I feel I have plenty of resources out here in internet land, however I am very confused at my not so little baby Leah. Quita has been a great mom to Leah and recently started to wean Leah by pushing and head butting when Leah tries to nurse. She still lets Leah nurse on and off but mostly gets annoyed with her. We acquired Chocolate in August right after her babies had been sold so we have been milking her since we got her. In the last few days I have seen Leah trying to nurse off of Chocolate and Chocolate is actually letting her! Is this normal? what should I do if anything?

PS....they are in a pasture together during the day but in three separate stalls that's are very close together at night. I milk Quita and Chocolate every morning and get about a half gallon between the two of them.

·
2,203 Posts
At 7 months I would not allow such behavior. Time for separation, teat tape, or strong bitters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never heard of teat tape... what is it and would I put it on both does or just the one who isn't her mother?

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Welcome! :wave:

I use the cloth athletic tape to thwart any doelings from nursing, works great when you want to dry off a doe who still allows her kid to nurse too.
Take a length and run it from the back of the teat down to the tip and back up the front, a piece around the teat as well though not too tight, just enough to keep the tape in place. The looks I got from my 5 month old doeling when she went for her normal sip was priceless.. she couldn't figure out why her tap looked and felt funny :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts