The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nine weeks ago today my ranch partner's three grandchildren (13, 10, and almost 9) came to live with us. Until moving here I don't think they knew there was such a thing as rural living. The 13 year old is learning carpentry skills from his grandfather but he wants nothing to do with the animals and thinks milking a goat is nasty. The 10 year old was born for this type of life style, a real animal lover. She has mastered milking our dairy goat and not allowing her to milk is punishment. The 8 year old wants to help but is a little afraid of the goats (and their horns) but enjoys squirting bad goats with the water gun. The 2 youngest children also help work in the vegetable garden daily.

About a week ago Bambi decided to wean her baby and we are suddenly getting a quart of milk twice a day. I had been giving her extra milk to an abandoned kid but I am slowly weaning that kid too. So it was time to introduce fresh goat's milk to the family. I wanted a good first introduction so everyone would get over any hesitation of consuming milk that doesn't come in a plastic container from the grocery store and originated from unknown cows. Thursday I made yogurt and last night I made fruit smoothies. Surprisingly our milker decided in advance she did not like goat's milk and barely allowed the smoothie to touch her lips before announcing the milk was disgusting. The 13 year old loved it and proclaimed it tasted like a yogurt smoothie. He drank so much he actually got full. Our picky (hates all vegetables) 8 year old didn't care for the peach smoothie but thankfully I had some left over frozen banana slices from last year and he loved the banana smoothie. So I consider the first introduction a success. I think in time our little milker will get over fear of the new food and partake. As for me I have a feeling I will be making alot of smoothies this summer.

Yesterday I started saving up some milk to let her make butter as she mentioned a desire to make butter several times this past week.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
we make yogurt and cant keep up with the demand. my daughter makes a variety of flavors from our homemade jams. also she makes lemon pie filling that can be mixed in. if we had more goats we could make a fortune selling yogurt. lol

·
Registered
635 Posts
Three adolescents in a row. You're either a saint or are being punished. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts