The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will spare you the long story but I have a herd of 5 goats with following details:

Cain: 1 year old wethered buck
Zack: 4 mo intact buck
Cupcake: 4 mo intact buck
Stacy: 9 mo doe . She is a real touch me not goat and very skittish.

We were happy with above four and they kind of managed themselves well, until I fell in love with 2 mo doeling on Craigslist. We have named her Soni. I will share her pictures so you know why I fell in love at first sight.

Anyways, I am feeling very overwhelmed and can use some guidance. Ideally,

1. I dont want the boys to bully Soni or mount her. She is only 2 month old.
2. I want to lock them all up at night for their safety. We have Cayotes in the area.

I have only one shelter and its become very hard to keep them all safe. Any ideas? I can share more details about the setup if needed. Thanks a bunch in advance.

·
Fair-Haven
4,738 Posts
She can't be in with the intact bucks - they should have a separate area from everyone - especially the baby. It's going to be difficult for her - the others being much larger/older and she is by herself and new to the herd. Can you set up a creep gate? Something she can fit through but the others can't? Do separate the intact bucks at this point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She can't be in with the intact bucks - they should have a separate area from everyone - especially the baby. It's going to be difficult for her - the others being much larger/older and she is by herself and new to the herd. Can you set up a creep gate? Something she can fit through but the others can't? Do separate the intact bucks at this point.
Thanks for quick reply. Creep gate is a great idea. Let me work on it. One option I have is to make a small enclosure, like a 10 foot by 10 foot with a roof and keep her there. Will she be ok by herself in your opinion?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes. She was bought from the same owner I got the bucks from. The owner had shared no concern about them being together as she is bigger, stronger, and much faster.
I don't know what breed of goats you have but a 4 month old buckling can get a doe pregnant. That's actually the age my then buckling got one of my does pregnant. Hes a Nigerian dwarf and weighed about 50 lbs. at the time. she was well over a hundred and quite a bit taller than him. If she goes into heat she isn't going to run from him. Usually 9 months is too young to be bred.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't know what breed of goats you have but a 4 month old buckling can get a doe pregnant. That's actually the age my then buckling got one of my does pregnant. Hes a Nigerian dwarf and weighed about 50 lbs. at the time. she was well over a hundred and quite a bit taller than him. If she goes into heat she isn't going to run from him. Usually 9 months is too young to be bred.
I definitely agree. If your 9 month doe gets pregnant it could be catastrophic to her heath, the kids she carries, and your wallet. I wouldn't risk it.

·
Fair-Haven
4,738 Posts
You will have to make some decisions. If you plan to keep the bucks intact, they need a separate pen always until you are ready to breed. The little doeling will be very hard to manage on her own without buddies her same age and should be introduced VERY slowly to the doe and the wether. If you are not prepared with separate areas for kidding, bucks etc... try to rethink how you will manage this. The doe will stand to be bred when she comes into season,no matter how "fast" she is - so if you don't have a purpose for kids and you are not prepared, you need to castrate them NOW. What breed are they? You will have a lot more in maintenance and money than you ever get out of kids that are not well bred.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
If that 9 month old has been with the bucks, she may already be bred.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts