Introducing a new horse

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Darby77, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Hi all. I lost my mare this past spring and she was amazing with my goats. They loved her and she loved them. I decided we need another horse because the goats and I miss having one in the barn. I found a young mare that seems very sweet, I even made sure she was low-man on the totem pole in herds and not aggressive. I have 6 large goats. I'm going to keep them separated at first in a pen inside the paddock, but any suggestions on introducing together? I would die if something happened to one of my goats, they are my world. The mare does not have hind shoes and has seen at least sheep in the past.
    Thanks!

Princess4ever likes this.
  2. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Ok, will do, thanks so much!!

3. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    To be honest we didn't even think about agression when we introduced our horse to the goats. I was more worried because the field wasn't properly fenced for the goats yet that they might flee to the neighbors fields because of the large strange animal. We kept the goats in their pen and him in the field while everyone got acquantied and after a week or so (once the horse was at least comfortable with us) started letting the goats out into the field in the evenings for a few hours. He doesn't care for the 2 oberhasli (herd queen and second in command) but he likes the boers. Our only issues so far is I have seen him nip at and actually bite the oberhaslis, he got in trouble for that the other day, but the girls usually do a good job of staying out of his way. He doesn't have a proper shelter yet, which supposedly he never uses anyways but I have caught him trying to fit in the goat hut. Once his shelter is done I plan to put a horse rail on the goats field gate so he can't get into their pen anymore. But that's more a preference for me as he steals the alfalfa which he doesn't need and I can't give the goats any grain right now because again he'll steal it. I figure it will double to provide a safe haven for the girls if they just want to get away from him. Fortunately my field is plenty big enough they all have lots of room to roam even though the goats seem to follow him while they browse.

ksalvagno and Morning Star Farm like this.
  4. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    She has lived next to sheep and is pretty quiet. Im worried my dummies will think they can eat her food and walk behind her like they did with my other mare. I hope they will be cautious with her.

5. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    I had to lock the goats in their stalls and pens when the mare was eating because the goats were awful but she would share hay with them and they were not shy about getting right in there to eat her hay.