The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up two more kids today. 9-10 weeks old, full alpine, with horns, and not wethered yet. they have been on their mom since birth, but they came from a community farm, so they are used to being around people, but not nearly as friendly as my other two bottle kids (now 1.5 years old) were at that age.

Is it silly to think that I could get them on a bottle for a few weeks at this point just for the social benefits, or is it just too late? any tricks? I just filled a pan with some warm replacer and they each sniffed it, but didn't seem to interested.

My friend who gave them to me also said that their mom was starting to wean them anyway, and the are eating solid foods as well...

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hello,

at this age, introducing the bottle can be a hopeless struggle. If you try, use real milk, no replacer. The smell of replacer often repells them when they are used to drinking at their mothers.

I would rather spend a lot of time with them, feeding small amounts of grain (up to their daily ration) by hand to get them more friendly than starting a struggle about taking a bottle which will do more damage in regard of their trust toward you.

·
222 Posts
We bought our little ober at 6 wks old and he was still on his mom. He had been used to a little human interaction, but would run when you tried to get close to him. We couldn't get him to drink anything for 2.5 days. We would try to hold his mouth, force the bottle in, and rub his neck to get him to swallow. He would just try and spit it out. After a few days, when he was more used to us, we were able to get him to start trying to drink. He would want the milk, he just didn't understand how to get it. Once we got it flowing he would drink a full bottle, but it took alot of work for the first few weeks. After that, he was a pro. I've also heard of people putting things that would taste good on the nipple.
As far him not being used to much human interaction, the other kids bullied and pushed him around so much that we would pull him into our laps and he would get so comfortable and feel so safe that he would start to snorning! He was the friendly out of all of them within a few days, and still is my biggest cuddler!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts