introducing chickens to my goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by citygoat, Apr 5, 2008.

1. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    I have 9 chicks in the brooder that will be living with my goats when they get old enough. their coop with be with the goat shelter and in the same pasture. how do i introsuce them? do i just put them in there or do they need to seperated at 1st?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'd just put them in a smallish pen where your goats could see and hear them for a few days, then move them to their permanent home...just make sure the goats can't get into the chicken feed!

3. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    We just introduced 2 buff orpington hens and an array of 5 chicks...and a mallard duck! We had them in one of our unused birthing pens for a few days and then let them out. THeya re doing great! Although, my goats keep getting into the chick starter and I cant keep them from knocking over the dish! UGGG! I think they eat more chick started than the chicks!!!

4. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    I have a pekin duck in with my goats. The only problem is the feed. The goats are constantly trying to eat the duck food. I have to shut the goats in the barn to give the duck some time to eat her breakfast.