The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new on here and also new to the world of goats. I have two older Nigerian dwarf does and one buck. Today I brought home the two doelings I purchased to "complete" me little herd. For tonight I have them tucked into the barn with a some water and alfalfa pellets.
But I want to get them out on pasture... What is the best way to introduce them to my herd? Both of my other does are bred. Is there extra risk to them to have to go through the stress of getting the know the two new goats? It seems like I read that somewhere.... BTW.... Both doelings are about a year old.

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
I would put them together with supervision and see what happens. You can always separate if anyone is getting too rough.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Welcome, fellow goat lover! :) To introduce animals to one another has two concerns: risk for infection and risk for bullying. Usually, people are recommended to keep newcomers separated for a time, to see that they do not show signs of any contagious illness.

Old horsemen have described to me, how they introduced horses to one another: First ride them closer and closer to one another, for several days, gradually letting the horses get used to one another. Finally, ride them rather hard, demont and remove saddles in the pasture, lead them apart, and let lose all horses at the very same time. Hopefully, all the horses are hungry enough to concentrate on eating, and when felling better filled, they start to discover one another, but then it is - hopefully - not as interesting as before to start a fight.

This is rather much to do, so I recommend you to select parts of it! ;) Remember, that those who are used to the place, have a great advantage, let us say that they own the place! If they are also bigger and older, and if they disapprove newcomers, they might start butting right away.

So supervision, YES! And Good Luck!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Welcome, fellow goat lover! :) To introduce animals to one another has two concerns: risk for infection and risk for bullying. Usually, people are recommended to keep newcomers separated for a time, to see that they do not show signs of any contagious illness.

Old horsemen have described to me, how they introduced horses to one another: First ride them closer and closer to one another, for several days, gradually letting the horses get used to one another. Finally, ride them rather hard, demont and remove saddles in the pasture, lead them apart, and let lose all horses at the very same time. Hopefully, all the horses are hungry enough to concentrate on eating, and when felling better filled, they start to discover one another, but then it is - hopefully - not as interesting as before to start a fight.

This is rather much to do, so I recommend you to select parts of it! ;) Remember, that those who are used to the place, have a great advantage, let us say that they own the place! If they are also bigger and older, and if they disapprove newcomers, they might start butting right away.

So supervision, YES! And Good Luck!
I would not do this with horses, ever.
Or goats.
There are a lot less stressful ways, like just meeting across a fence a few times, or having them in stalls next to each other and being fed at the same time.
Especially if some of the herd know each other, as there would be a chance that the herd gangs up on any animals they don't know even if they are exhausted.
The way that worked best for me, with horses and goats, have been the above, and then introduce them one at a time from lowest on the totempole to the top.
That way they will be used to each other, and there is less chance that they gang up.
Only speaking from personal experience.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Welcome to the herd...er forum!:cowboy:
There will be some jostling, no matter what, just supervise.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
You got something to add there, Lindan!
meeting across a fence a few times,
Might get stuck, maybe better with a leash? (On both parties, of course!)
or having them in stalls next to each other and being fed at the same time.
Of course this was always done in those old times!
even if they are exhausted.
Not exhausted! Only more interested in grazing than in fighting!
one at a time from lowest on the totempole to the top.
This is a very good idea! Or, at least, see to it that the two groups are about the same number. If you introduce one single goat to an established flock, the flock members often push one another aside, like "Move, now it is my turn to have a fight with this new one!" And the poor newcomer gets, yes, exhausted.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Time and supervision.

However, if she is being hit, take the goat hitting her and separate the mean goat from the others for a week or two, this will create a pecking order stance, which the kids or lower on the totem pole goats, will not try to compete.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts