The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently adopted to Does with kids keeping the one doeling and the two mothers, after at least two week quarantine going to introduce them to my two pet Whethers. Wondering is it safe for the youngest Doeling to be with adult Whethers what should I expect from the introduction.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
It really depends on your wethers and on how much space you can provide. My wethers tend to ignore all babies that were born here, but they can really go after any goats introduced from outside until everyone gets used to each other (which can take days or months depending on the goats). Providing plenty of room for goats to get away (and stay away) from each other--particularly when it comes to shelter and food--is key.

Are the mother goats comparable to the wethers in size? That can make a huge difference on whether the wethers ("whether the wethers"--I like that!) pick on the kid. If your does are similar in size to your wethers you may end up with a bossy mama in charge who flips the tables on them, in which case the kid would have status and be left alone. You'll just have to keep an eye on the situation and as Tanya said, make sure there are plenty of hiding places for the little one to go.

Also, do your wethers have horns? If they do, make sure they are not inclined to use them on your does' udders! I have horned wethers running with my does and I've never had this problem, but it's one to watch for.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts