The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
VolBabe Boer Goats
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i mentioned in another thread that i got a new mare shes 4 years old broke in a certain way that i have to fix (i have no problem with it) anywho what i didnt mention was shes great with dogs she doesnt kick or try and pick them up by their fur or anything and i know because two collies that the owners inlaws had could be around her and she wasnt nervous or anything, But my wonders are will she be the same way with the goats. SO I have my goat and my moms goats penned up in a small area where i can feed them alfa hay and the mare is in the pasture so she gets alfa hay and eats beside them and when they move she doesnt spook at them or anything so im not sure if she thinks of them as a dog or something that baa's lol.

How would you introduce 10 goats to 1 mare? one by one? or all together?

·
Super Moderator
59,219 Posts
I would start with through the fence. Then maybe put a couple of the goats in with her that you could easily grab and get out if there was a problem and see how that goes.

·
VolBabe Boer Goats
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would start with through the fence. Then maybe put a couple of the goats in with her that you could easily grab and get out if there was a problem and see how that goes.
that sounds like a good idea :) i have them through the fence right now and she will eat next to them sooo i think ill try your idea the only one that will come toward someone when called is our queen wobbles laboer doe :D lol i will have to talk to my mom about that first lol since its her goat lol

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I normally take the horse into the goat pen on a long lead, let them walk around where they want, sniff the goats if they want etc. Then let them loose if there is no issues and sit in the pasture for a while with them. I make a couple introductions while I can watch before leaving them on their own.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I also keep the horse on a lead for a bit and put a few goats out loose. At least that was what i did back when I let the goat and horse populations share space, which I don't any more. That gives me more control over the situation to judge the horse's reaction and intervene if anything goes sideways on me.

·
VolBabe Boer Goats
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah we put her in with our bucks and she almost ran my moms purebred over so i have to keep them separate :/ which sucks because i really wanted to be able to put them together since my moms not going ot keep her pasture a horse pasture much longer :/

·
Registered
319 Posts
make a little pen in the horse pasture with the goats in it eventually they will get used to the goats. i done this with one of my horses he is a huge blocky black and white gelding and he didn't like the hogs so i put it out there in a pen in the pasture and now when i feed the hog he follows me up to the hog pen and he ascts like he wants the pigs food but he cant get it through the fence it may take time but itll work hope it helps:))

·
Registered
22 Posts
Most goats love horses But my Billy doesn't he likes to headbutt my horse and that scares my horse So I think it would be best to start off when they are just babies

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
My mare bit a goats tail off once. She went bye-bye after that to a new home :)

Hopefully your mare gets along.

·
VolBabe Boer Goats
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh wow o_O lol well we've had her in with my moms bucks for a week now and they are doing great :D lol the boys just keep a safe distance from her to be sure she doesnt act up or anything and she follows them and eats with a bit of space between them and her next them so its all going well so far i go out every day and chekc on them while watering them so far so good :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts