Introducing goats to pasture

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by stut8500, Jul 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. stut8500

stut8500 New Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Boise, ID
    Hello,

I have 2 does and three kids(4 months olds) that are being dam raised.
    I've had the does in a dry lot pen since February along with the kids when they were born in March. I have been feeding them grain and alfalfa. I'm trying to introduce them to our pasture which is mostly weeds( thistle, kochia, varies grasses, and other weeds). I've walked through the field and haven't identified anything poisonous to them. Our wethers have been on a similar pasture year round without problem. I tried introducing them slowly to it, such as 20 minutes a day and doubling that. 20 minutes day 1, 40 the 2nd, hour the 3rd, 2 hours the 4th, etc... No matter what I do they seem to get scours. I also make sure they have alfalfa, minerals, and baking soda, and clean fresh water free choice while they are out there. Any ideas on how I can introduce them and prevent the diarrhea?

2. stut8500

stut8500 New Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Boise, ID
    I should note it's only the does that are having the problem. The kids are not. They were recently wormed and when I take them off the pasture back to the dry lot and feed them alfalfa for a day everything clears up.

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Do 20 minutes a day for a few days until no more loose stool. Then do 40 minutes a day until no loose stool. Then and hour a day until no loose stool. Give probiotics daily.

Sfgwife likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California