The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those of you that haven't read the "considering registered experimental" post I recently (yesterday) purchased a registered experimental doeling. She is a February baby and is 25% Saanen and 75% Nubian. Her dam is milking almost two gallons a day and she herself is just HUGE compared to Daffodil who is only a month younger. She is mouthy, lovey, and very curious, she has nibbled on most anything she can get in her mouth including her registration paper!!! She ripped them slightly when seller was signing them over. Without further ado here she is!

First one is her profile, then two with my daughter holding her, her knocking on my front door, and two of her walking around my yard eating random things in my yard.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is actually my daughter holding her but my daughter is taller than me I am scraping 5'4" and my daughter at 11 is about 5'6" She was born Feb 16th of this year and she is 78 lbs according to weight tape already. Her seller did a really good job raising her and caring for her.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
LOL...a scrapping 5' 4" huh? :) She is for sure good sized! I am so tired of seeing under sized, bloated bellied, under nourished and copper deficient goats around here :( Seems like most CL ads have very poor looking goats....so frustrating. And everyone I have bought my goats from has had goats for a long time! The only 2 that looked really good, were my 2 Nubians.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She kinda looks like a deer to me, that kind worries me a little for hunting season, even though all my goat pens are right off my yard, close to the house.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She really is sweet, she won't let us out of her sight. If I walk off she comes running behind me, my daughter was running around the yard with her and Daffodil running along behind her. Her and Daffodil are a work in progress though. She bullies Daffy a bit. Daffy of course being the supreme fighting spirit that she is won't take any guff, but she is so tiny compared to Dru. It makes me sad realizing just how stunted Daffy really is, it didn't really sink in til I saw Dru. Daffy is very lucky to be alive I think. Anyway, I have let them out together in the yard several times supervised today and their relationship is improving. Dru is a big baby and really much more scared than Daffy, but to be fair she is at a whole new place also.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One month age difference. Dru is a feb baby and Daffodil a March baby. I tried several times to take pictures of Daffodil today and she just wouldn't cooperate. She always had her head turned or her body at an angle or something. But if is any help she is probably 20-25 lbs and Dru is 78 She is way less than half Dru's size.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah it is from cocci with Daffy too, but my friend told me to feed her up good now that she is well that they grow til two so she could still catch up some. If she doesn't I will never breed her. So she may end up being just a pet. But that is okay too, she is awful cute to look at. :)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Boy do I hate cocci! We didn't know about it when we started out and our first kids were stunted like that. :( We couldn't figure out why... I don't like to think about it much..

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
I sold mine as a pet only to an older couple that also had 2 pygmy goats...she is now "herd queen" LOL....but I warned them never to breed her or she would likely die....she was cute too...here is a pic of her right before she was sold...I felt awful but I was ignorant!

Attachments

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
No Stephanie, you were not ignorant, you were inexperienced. There is a big difference between the two as one is the result of an unwillingness, even refusal, to learn and the other is the result of a lack of experience as to what to look for.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I sold mine as a pet only to an older couple that also had 2 pygmy goats...she is now "herd queen" LOL....but I warned them never to breed her or she would likely die....she was cute too...here is a pic of her right before she was sold...I felt awful but I was ignorant!
She is so cute! Its hard to tell she's stunted.
We sold several that were tiny like that, from cocci, and told people to only breed them with Nigerians (they were Alpines) :( I agree that neither of us was ignorant, but definitely inexperienced! I also raised a Nigerian from a baby. And she only got a out half as big as she should've. I wanted her for breeding, but I thought shed die if she had kids.
She accidentally got bred, (we thought to a 3/4 Nigerian, 1/4 NUBIAN buck, no less!) and I did NOT want to have to see that happen, so our neighbors conveniently took her off our hands. We told them the situation, but they didn't seem to worried about it, and the crazy thing is, she made it!
I think we were mistaken, and she must've been bred later on to a nigerian that they had. :shrug: I really don't really think she would've survived if it had been the buck we thought it was. I think she had twins, but I'm not sure. I never saw her again, and we don't really communicate with them anymore. :( I miss her, and I still wish sometimes that I had kept her anyway.
It's sad to learn the hard way, but at least we know better now, and we have TGS! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts