The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this is our first year with goats, and 150 days after one stormy/romantic night our herd of 15 multiplied to 31 goats. We know have 8 baby boys who are about 4+ months and we are wondering when/how to introduce them to our two big males. We separated the baby boys maybe a month and a half ago, and they are growing like weeds. Any advice?
Thanks, GCK Ranch

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
Just make sure there is enough space in the pen for them all and that there are things for them to jump on or hide under/behind for them to escape bullying. Try to remove places where they could get cornered. Also make sure there are multiple sources of food and water so they are not guarded.

I put five 12 week old bucklings in with my 1.5 year old breeding buck and his young companion and they all did just fine and there has been no bullying at all - my does are the harsher ones! This may not be the case with all bucks but mine did just fine. I kept a close eye on them for a couple hours but really didn't need to.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
10,704 Posts
I like to bring mine in at night and put them in a stall so the big boys and see and smell them, but not get to them. All night they say hi, then they sleep. In the morning I let them out and just make sure everyone has plenty of room, and different food and water stations.

My bucks have been SO good to the wethers. Some mounting but in general, they're gentler to them than the does were.

·
Super Moderator
14,768 Posts
I agree with saltey love. And I thought it was just my boys but they didn't care at all about the 3 month old buckling I just put with them. The only time they act like they even see him is at feeding time. I throw hay in the first feeder and they just push him out of the way. (There is 3 feeders that they can eat off both sides so he gets to eat)
I would just make sure you keep a eye on them because every goat is different but have found with my nasty mean does as long as the space is big enough to get away they are fine. The whole meeting threw the fence has never worked for me. I took some does out of a pen and put in a pen that borders where they were. They see each other every day and still when they get back together it's WW3

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
I like to pen the babies next to the big boys for a few days, then open the gate and keep checking on them throughout the day for a few days. So far, my bucks have never hurt a young kid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.