Introducing...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by FunnyRiverFarm, Sep 14, 2008.

1. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Hi, I'm new here...dropping in for a quick introduction. My name is Angela. I was raised in and currently live in southern Michigan. I did 4-h with dairy goats when I was younger but sort of got out of it when I developed an interest in horses. I was forced to give up horses when my family sold our farm and have not had any barn animals since...until now.

My husband and I having been living in our own home w/ 20 acres for about two years and I've been bugging him for more pets the entire time. I convinced him to live with newts and guinea pigs when we were still staying in an apartment so we already had those. Then we got two dogs (Petro--a Brittany--and Ruby--a Beagle) and adopted a cat ( Mew Mew). Next came our 4 hens and rooster. And finally, this summer, the goats--which I have wanted for a long time...I really missed having some around not to mention the milk. My husband was not sure if he would like them having heard some of the typical stereotypes: get into everything, hard to contain, aggressive, etc. But after having them for a couple months they've really grown on him. He's the one asking me to go for "goat walks".

Anyway, when I finally had the opportunity to purchase goats, I decided on Lamanchas because they seemed so laid back and easy to handle--compared to the Alpines I had before--and I just like the way they look. I ended up buying two does from a breeder here in Michigan and named them Jezabelle and Delilah. Jezabelle is a ADGA registered American Lamancha and Delilah is a ADGA recorded grade (50% Lamancha).

I plan on breeding them this fall--which is exciting and nerve wracking at the same time because it's been so long since I've done this. Thank God for the Goat Spot--I'm sure I'll be able to use the support provided here.

Photos:
    Delilah and Jezabelle
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=14836915&albumID=2020427&imageID=41100980

Jezabelle
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=14836915&albumID=2020427&imageID=41101090

Deliliah
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=14836915&albumID=2020427&imageID=41101058

Petro
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=14836915&albumID=1986570&imageID=39997108

Ruby
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=14836915&albumID=1986570&imageID=39997088

Mew Mew
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=14836915&albumID=1986570&imageID=39997139

I'll hopefully be getting some better pics of the goats soon...these are from a couple days after we brought them home.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Welcome from Idaho - :wave:

You have some nice looking critters!! Don't worry - we will all be here for you, every step of the way!!!

Oh, and hubby's come around - mine just did after 1 year and 20 goats later - LOL!

3. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Hi and welcome- yes, the husbands do come around- I wouldn't worry much about that :)

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome! You have such beautiful animals

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome Angela, :wave: So glad that you have found us.
    Those goats look so happy and boy are they cute as ever. I will agree, the husbands do come around. They TRY top act all like "DARN GOATS", but when they think you are not looking, you will find them out petting them and talking to them. I have a few goats that my husband will be really upset and hurt if something was to happen to them, he is very attached to some of them, but I do hear it when they get into his garden and eat all the good stuff, then he is not saying very nice things about them. I just try to smooth thing over by telling them that they are just so proud of his garden that they want to share. :ROFL: All he can do is laugh then.
    Matter of fact we were talking about maybe moving for him to take a better job. He asked if I would be all for it, and I told him SURE as long as I can bring my goats. He said "of course you can, I would not think about moving with out them". SUCKER :hi5:

6. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcome!

sweetgoats--luckily we already have a fence around our garden for deer (they are very bold around here...they have munched on shurbs that are literally only feet from our house!) because I know that if the goats got into the vegetables it would not go over very well. My husband too takes a lot of pride in his gardening...

They have done some "trimming" on a few of the apple trees, but the trees are large so there's not much they can reach--even if they do stand on each other. My husband said they better stay away from his pears, though! :roll:

Hope your husband gets that job! Although, I can see how moving with goats might be a little hectic...Goodluck!

7. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Welcome to TGS! Your goats are very pretty.

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Welcome to TGS!!! What gorgeous little critters you've got!!

9. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Welcome Angela!!

I thought that was a Brit in your avatar when I seen your post in the Goat Frenzy forum. :) We used to have one of those. My Mom had a Brit when she was a kid and she thought she wanted another one. Way different energy level than a German Shepherd, which Mom knew that. Being a bird dog all she wanted to do was chase birds and kill the cat. We ended up selling her to someone that hunts and she does great in that enviroment...the people are very happy with her. :greengrin:

10. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Dover Farms--I know what you mean about Brittanys being high-energy! Petro is a hunting dog, but he still needs to be exercised regularly or he is almost unbearable...lol. I have a harness for him and let him pull me on my bike (not uphill) for a couple miles everyday. He really enjoys this and gets excited as soon as he sees me with the harness. He never bothers our cat because the cat put him in his place when he was a puppy. He did kill one of our neighbor's chicken though. :GAAH: He does not bother the goats--he stands outside the fence and points them--however, I would never leave them together unattended.

11. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Hello from PA! Glad you found us, you have quite a menagerie there! Mew, Mew looks a little irritated. Must not want his pic taken. LOL Very pretty goats!

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    welcome :wave: :wave: FunnyRiverFarm pretty animals ,love your dog......... :love:

13. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Di--Mew Mew pretty much always looks like that unless he is 1)being fed or 2)gets into catnip. I think it's just part of being old--he is 14!

It's really funny when he gets into catnip--he hides in the bushes and attacks the dogs when they walk by. The poor dogs never know what to do when he does this because 95% of the time he doesn't pay any attention to them.

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :dance: that is funny.............

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    my hubby has always cursed at them when they get out or charge the gate when he feeds, and telling them they are going to the freezer. But the beginning of August a little doeling was born. He named her 2 days later, and that little rambuctious girl will only let him pick her up now. Then I brought home a Nubian doeling on Friday - and he named her on Saturday night - can you believe it.

I promise they DO come around!

Our barn cat pounces on my bottle baby buckling and they roll around and play. I really need to get it on video - you all would die!

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome to the Goat Spot Angela!!! Hope we can give you all the answers to your questions when it comes time for babies.....And anything else in between :greengrin:

17. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Welcome. I love your goats, they are so pretty! I have had goats for almost 3 years and my hubby hasnt come around yet but is starting to.

18. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Welcome! :wave:

This place is great, awesome people who are totally priceless when it comes to helping out. I'd be lost without them! :grouphug:

And yup, hubbies come around! Mine did, he adores the goats now, even when they stole his granola bar yesterday! :roll:

First time he saw a LaMancha, he went "What happened to that poor goat's ears?" :ROFL: