The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a bottle of ivermectin today at Tractor Supply. The guy there told me it was for cows only because it didn’t have a picture of a goat on it. It has a cow and a pig. He said the Agrimectin was the same thing but it was generic and it has a goat on it. I bought it anyway because they didn’t have the agrimectin and said he didn’t have any idea when they would have of it back in stock. I think it’s the ivermectin original and should work fine. What do you think and what is the dose for mites or m worm? Is it also given now and 10 days, 10 days?

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
I bought a bottle of ivermectin today at Tractor Supply. The guy there told me it was for cows only because it didn't have a picture of a goat on it. It has a cow and a pig. He said the Agrimectin was the same thing but it was generic and it has a goat on it. I bought it anyway because they didn't have the agrimectin and said he didn't have any idea when they would have of it back in stock. I think it's the ivermectin original and should work fine. What do you think and what is the dose for mites or m worm? Is it also given now and 10 days, 10 days?
Yes you can give this for mites. And yes give it. Then ten days apart dose again. But you also need to clean bedding and barn thoroughly as well and spray any walls, wood and everything that is touchable by the goats as well with a good disinfectant for mites. But why are you not going to use the pour on that you already had? It works very well for motes and lice if you have that problem.....

Why are you worried over m worm right now?

·
TKC Farms
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes you can give this for mites. And yes give it. Then ten days apart dose again. But you also need to clean bedding and barn thoroughly as well and spray any walls, wood and everything that is touchable by the goats as well with a good disinfectant for mites. But why are you not going to use the pour on that you already had? It works very well for motes and lice if you have that problem.....

Why are you worried over m worm right now?
She has hair picks on her mid back to back in and sides. I have not seen her biting that much when I'm feed but something is picking that hair and I assume it's her. I looked at them but her hair is so thick I don't see anything. Maybe I don't know what to look for.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
If you are worried about meningeal worm, then you need to do the full course of Safeguard. Ivermectin is preventative only. They give it as part of treatment just in case it might help. But it is Safeguard that actually treats it.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
If you are worried about meningeal worm, then you need to do the full course of Safeguard. Ivermectin is preventative only. They give it as part of treatment just in case it might help. But it is Safeguard that actually treats it.
I've seen information that shows ivermectin will work at a certain point if there are no neurological symptoms present - but again, M worm is super unlikely here, and it's probably mites or lice, but the ivomec injectable would give some slight extra protection in case.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
More than likely they didn't actually have M worm. Only a spinal tap can test for M worm and most people wouldn't want to pay for it and the average vet doesn't have the ability to do it.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
More than likely they didn't actually have M worm. Only a spinal tap can test for M worm and most people wouldn't want to pay for it and the average vet doesn't have the ability to do it.
There was a confirmed case of M Worm in a herd treated successfully by safeguard. The other goats were not yet showing neuro signs, but there were concerns of it starting, they were given ivermectin.

I'm not arguing, I am just saying it is extremely unlikely that tom's goat has m worm, it sounds like mites, lice, or just the itchies - but ivermectin injectable may by .000001th of a chance help to treat m worm, so that is what was recommended as opposed to a pour on.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
There was a confirmed case of M Worm in a herd treated successfully by safeguard. The other goats were not yet showing neuro signs, but there were concerns of it starting, they were given ivermectin.

I'm not arguing, I am just saying it is extremely unlikely that tom's goat has m worm, it sounds like mites, lice, or just the itchies - but ivermectin injectable may by .000001th of a chance help to treat m worm, so that is what was recommended as opposed to a pour on.
M worm isn't passed through a herd. A goat or sheep or camelid is an end host. So I'm very confused by this. So it sounds like there was one confirmed case that had to have been confirmed by necropsy. I can understand if they gave everyone a shot of Ivomec for prevention. I can also understand giving the full treatment to ones that they suspected might have it with seeing any type of symptom. But it is unlikely that an entire herd actually had M worm. That would mean that every single animal individually ate an infected slug or snail while grazing.

·
TKC Farms
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
M worm isn't passed through a herd. A goat or sheep or camelid is an end host. So I'm very confused by this. So it sounds like there was one confirmed case that had to have been confirmed by necropsy. I can understand if they gave everyone a shot of Ivomec for prevention. I can also understand giving the full treatment to ones that they suspected might have it with seeing any type of symptom. But it is unlikely that an entire herd actually had M worm. That would mean that every single animal individually ate an infected slug or snail while grazing.
If I needed safe guard is it the same one Tractor Supply carries.?
Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts