The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20 plus years of raising goats and I have had too many first's this year. A nanny who died of calcium deficiency but was feeding it proper feed and minerals. Lost two nannys both 4 of who knows what in the last 24 hours and now this a baby with inverted eyelashes and ulcers on her eyes. So got her to the vet, they did the surgical correction, now she is in the house for a couple of days so I can watch her. The vet seems to feel her sight will come back....but if it doesn't.....how easy will it be for her to adapt? Anyone have an idea? I know she probably won't be able to be a pasture goat but maybe an orchard or yard nanny?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Honestly, I don't know. They are very adaptable so this particular one may be fine.

However, please examine the "proper feed and minerals" SOMETHING is wrong and if you have already scratched looking at the most likely culprit (nutrition) then you won't find out what is the problem.

What feed? What minerals? What cocci prevention? What is your breeding plan?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,397 Posts
I agree. I am curious what your "proper feed and minerals" are, as well as the kind of hay you are feeding? And of course answers to all other questions from @mariarose. While it sounds that the situation of the goat possibly being blind is going to turn out alright, whether with a good buddy or just pure adaptability, my main concern is helping you for the future with nutrition as something doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly, I don't know. They are very adaptable so this particular one may be fine.

However, please examine the "proper feed and minerals" SOMETHING is wrong and if you have already scratched looking at the most likely culprit (nutrition) then you won't find out what is the problem.

What feed? What minerals? What cocci prevention? What is your breeding plan?

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Are the kids eyes clearing up? They can be quite ulcerated and still heal so I hope she is looking fine! So sorry you are having a tough year though. I also had my first entropian (turned eyelids) in a kid this year but it was easily corrected by rolling the one offending eyelid out several times a day in just two days! Some are more severe than others. They are genetic though so did you buy a new buck for breeding? My new buck through two bad eyelids in 25 kids. I'm going to use him again next year but I'm not sure after that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Our Vet had to surgically correct both eyes. Her left eye is clearing nicely, her right is still a little cloudy . She can see out of her left..he thinks it is shapes, light and dark out of the right. She is a smart little thing...it took her two days to figure out the bottle. But she is jumping and leaping and dancing around playing with the other two...and is getting around great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts