The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
C6D386C3-37E7-434D-82CB-A5AF6809B830.jpeg 539D2733-CFF0-49A1-84C9-BC8BE2012835.jpeg B63BEA7A-6E17-404C-B640-550F3A965D4A.jpeg 7BF22684-6057-42CF-A710-EE5EFC10FEDB.jpeg
I'm aware that some kind of mineral/nutrition deficiency causes this, and I know it's treatable- I bought a buckling who had one at about this age.
Am I right in thinking it's iodine deficiency? They're are two different does pictured, one 8 weeks, the other 6. They're in the same pen with another doeling and she doesn't have this. Taking into account that every goat is different, I'm still leaning towards a mineral kind of deficiency.

Bigger question- these does are just figuring out "big girl" food, and won't touch minerals. How do I get minerals into them for this?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
This may be milk goiter and not a thyroid issue. One really good source for supplemental iodine is kelp. As for the loose minerals, just continue to offer those free choice, change them out if moisture has hardened them. Eventually, they will discover loose minerals and eat what they feel is needed. Some days, it may seem like they eat too much, other days it may seem like they barely touch them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve been feeding Purina Wind & Rain cattle minerals.
So... mostly out of curiosity, what causes milk goiter? Is that just accumulated baby fat?
I will double check their FAMACHA score, but they act very healthy so I’m expecting it to be good.
How long does it take to go away? I can’t really remember from the buckling I purchased last year.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
It means they are drinking plenty of rich milk. It does take a while to disappear. Do your goats have a separate salt lick (aside from your minerals)? Most salt licks are iodized and most people who provide that have no issues with iodine deficiency goiters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts