Iodine Deficiency

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CaramelKittey, Aug 6, 2020.

1. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

Ashlynn and MadHouse like this.

2. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    MadHouse and CaramelKittey like this.
  3. Chelsey

Chelsey Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Yes, that’s the block

CaramelKittey likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. CaramelKittey

Thank you! We will go ahead and see if we can't purchase it sometime this week. Did anybody have to special order the block from TSC? I've never done a special order from there before, so I guess I will be learning how to if needed. ;) While I've never looked for the block, I haven't seen it in any of our local TSCs.

MadHouse likes this.
  6. CaramelKittey

Thank you! Yes, I definitely see the difference between the two products! In that case, I only need Replamin Plus, and no selinium paste?

MadHouse likes this.
  7. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Correct. :) You can get it from tsc, jeffers, pbs animal health, etc but the cheapest I found is at animal health warehouse which I linked to. We actually had a mixup with them where they sent us extra replamin plus by mistake and then told us to just keep it. I'm not complaining lol.

If you get the 300 cc tube you will need the applicator gun to dispense it.

8. CaramelKittey

That's great! Thank you!
    I've seen some recipes for Replamin Plus 'Treat balls' which I am planning on trying. Gracie is a picky eater, so it might take some convincing to give her the treat. Goats always seem to know how to not eat the treats with medicine, but gladly eat your papers with all their medical history. :haha:

https://www.amazon.com/North-Americ...=cobalt+block+for+goats&qid=1597010963&sr=8-2
    Would this block work as well?
    Thank you!

9. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
  10. CaramelKittey

Thank you! If we can’t get it from TSC, we will just order it from amazon. How do you protect your blocks from the elements? Do you mount them on a wall?

11. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    We don't currently have a cobalt block but I have it on the to do list. When we had a salt/mineral block a while back we just put it in this https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/fortiflex-sbp-10-salt-block-pan-50-lb-capacity-black and set it in the pasture. That's what I was planning on doing with the cobalt. It will definitely last longer if it's under shelter though.
    They also sell stuff like this https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/behlen-country-3-block-mineral-feeder?cm_vc=-10005 that will protect the block from rain in the field.
    As well as these: https://www.agrisupply.com/universal-salt-mineral-block-holder-black/p/85901/

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  12. CaramelKittey

Thank you! We plan on redoing our goat shelter into something with stalls and more milking stands, so the block can be undercover alongside our minerals. For now, the wall mount holder will probably be the option we go with!

toth boer goats likes this.
  13. CaramelKittey

Has anybody heard of TheThriftyHomesteader.com?
    I contacted the owner (I always contact many people and get lots of opinions before doing anything ;)) and she said, “Please do NOT get the cobalt block. It is overpriced salt! Seriously -- it is 98% salt! Sweetlix has way more cobalt in it than the so-called cobalt block.”
    Is this true?
    Thanks in advance!

14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I’ve had a lot of chats with Deborah - we talk often. She is wonderful, but I disagree on quite a few things - one is absolutely this. Cobalt blocks have a little less cobalt than Sweetlix, yes, but it gives a concentrated source of it so the goat can have that and just that (and while yes it is 98% salt - think about all the other minerals in loose minerals. Then you’re not focusing on the cobalt:salt ratio in the block, it’s the cobalt:everything else ratio in a loose mineral, which probably ends up being about the same or even worse). Goats eat a lot more salt than they do minerals, so salt is the best carrier for them to use cobalt. Cobalt blocks are very successful.

15. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    For the iodine, in addition to kelp, use iodine teat dip. Im not kidding, it helped us! I guess it gets absorbed through the teats?

16. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Yes, you need it! Cobalt is a concentrated amount, so they can pick and choose if/when they need it since most soil in the U.S is deficiant in cobalt!

17. Chelsey

Chelsey Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2018
    I didn’t feel like it was very expensive considering how long it lasts and they lick it so they obviously need or want it.

18. CaramelKittey

Thank you! We will get a cobalt block if we can and let the goats lick it when they know they need it.

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  19. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

My first block I had to order from Amazon. Lasted over 4 years with only 5 goats. This block I was lucky and found at a fairly local TSC.