Iodine Deficiency

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CaramelKittey, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Wow! My 6 does ate theirs in 2 years! And i am on the search for another one :( the old tsc i got it from stopped carrying and the feed store wont/cant order them

CaramelKittey likes this.
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

3. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

I hope you find some! I still can’t find any in NJ. I guess we’ll be making the trip to Delaware.. :gottago:

4. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Does the spraying or painting the back side of tail with iodine really work? I have been told that you do it daily until the iodine color is still on the tail 24 hours later, then quit as they have had enough. Is this legit?

5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    It tells you whether or not they need iodine - but it isn't meant to supplement iodine.

6. CaramelKittey

That’s very interesting. I’ve never heard of that test before. Do you think we should try it on all our does?

7. CaramelKittey

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  8. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the big square blocks or the brick sized ones?

The colbalt blocks and bricks have been out of stock here for a while. They just came back in.

9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
  10. CaramelKittey

Thank you!
    Should we purchase this anyway, or is it unnecessary?

11. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Unless your goats are having protein problems, no.

Think of the pail as more of a grain-type supplement.

12. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    The big 50 lb ones

CaramelKittey and MadHouse like this.
  13. CaramelKittey

Thank you! Would there be any reason to stop feeding grain, and only offer the ultralyx goat protein pail?

14. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Some people like to give protein pails in the winter. You wouldn't give the pail instead of grain.

15. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I have loose minerals, a cobalt block and a selenium block out for each pen. That combo really helped this last year. So many less breeding and birthing problems. Along with Bo-Se given (missed a few does) I only had 5 kids out of 69 that needed Bo-Se when born. Cobalt may be mostly salt, but what cobalt (which helps the B12 metabolism) there is really helps the herd. And they drink more, which is really good. (but a pain to keep filling water buckets, oh well!)

16. CaramelKittey

Thank you! Then we will definitely get a cobalt block!

I’ve been trying to find any local feed stores that may carry them but I haven’t found any. I asked an employee at TSC if the blocks could possibly go stale, and she wasn't really sure but made an educated guess that they couldn’t go stale. Just wanted to double-check on here. I wouldn’t think they could go stale but I just wanna be sure before we go and buy four of them..
    As long as they stay dry, everything should be fine, right?
    Thank you!

toth boer goats likes this.
  17. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    They don't go stale, but if it's humid, they weep! I had just bought 10 of them and DH needed my truck. (Mine is newer and has a cap). So, I set them on the concrete under cover. It has been humid and I see a blue area around the pile, they (like all salt) absorb moisture. It's not a big deal, but they do leave a blue stain.

18. CaramelKittey

Thank you! We will probably store the extra ones in our basement on pallets so they don't stain the floor. ;)
    I had no idea they could stain the floor if they got wet. Thank you so much for telling me!