The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a doe who has always been itchy since I’ve had her. (I got her in November) She started shedding pretty early so at first i figured she was just itchy from that. Now she spends all day itching on everything she can find. I gave her a medicated bath this afternoon and her skin felt horrible, it’s rough and flakey and her coat was patchy. I ended up clipping her because I felt like she wouldn’t stop itching her hair off, and then I could apply medicated lotion on her daily to try and soothe her. She looks like a lobster, her skin is so red and irritated. I feel awful for her. I checked her all over and there are no mites, and none of my other goats have any skin issues. Is there something else I can do for her aside from medicated baths and lotion? I have a lot topical things for bad skin for my horses.
Is flax something that you could feed a goat for coat health? My horses get it, but I’ve never thought of giving it to the goats. I’ll get some pictures of her when I put her in for the night

·
Super Moderator
32,241 Posts
You can't see mites..only their damage. Red flakey crusty angry skin..hair loss. If you post a picture we can confirm. Best treatment of injectable ivomectin 1 cc per 40 pounds sub q once a week for 3 weeks. She may need more if she's bad. Topical support would be nustock or MTG for horses. Feeding fresh raw garlic and vit c can booste her immune system

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh wow I didn’t know you couldn’t see mites..I figured you would be able to see something 🤦‍♀️
Her skin is less red today but still super flakey and rough. She rubbed most of the hair off even shorter than how I clipped her.
She is 4 months pregnant right now..is it safe to give her injectable ivermectin? I’ve never dealt with mites before 😬
I’ll pick up some mtg, and I’ll feed her some garlic and vit c. I’m going to get some sun screen for her too so she doesn’t burn now that she’s so exposed. I want to make sure I get her sorted out and comfortable before she delivers.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,241 Posts
Yes injectable Ivomec is safe for pregnant ladies. She does look like mites are her issue

Reactions: toth boer goats
1 - 4 of 4 Posts