The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nanny just had her baby yesterday. I watched her very close up until around midnight and the whole time she would call her baby to her but them butt it away when it would try to nurse. I left it with her all night and just checked on this morning and she was doing the same thing. So I took the baby from her. The last straw was when she hooked it with her horn an thru it in the air. I am selling her next week. But I milked out 12 cc of her first milk and gave it to the baby. My question is is 12cc enough first milk. I have never had a doe do this before. :whatgoat:

·
Super Moderator
58,465 Posts
No, the kid really needs more. But if it is beyond 18 hours, the window to absorb antibodies is pretty much gone. Is the kid ok? That is a long time going without milk. Is this a first time mom? They don't understand that nursing will help with the pain. Giving some Banamine to help with the pain usually takes care of them pushing away their kids.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
No the kid needs ounces of milk, not cc. There are about 30 cc in an ounce. If the kid has gone this long without colostrum, I would either get some from another goat or goat breeder (CAE negative herd) or get some of the colostrum replacer from the store and tube her with it if she won't suck on a nipple. Make sure the kids temperature is at least 100 before giving her any milk.

You could keep trying to milk the doe, but if she doesn't have very much milk it may be easier to just get the colostrum somewhere else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She had it around 730 last knight and the kids seems to be doing fine he is up and alert. this is her first time and I have tried everything. I will try to milk her again and see. His temp is fine and seems to be doing good. I know that they need ozs of milk but and she will suck a nipple. I just need to know if that was enough colostrum or not. Its been around 13 hours since she had him. also when i was milking her the baby was able to suck on the side i was not milking. and then when I went to the other side I put the baby on the other side.so he probably got more than what I gave him. I just don't know exactly how much more. He would only suck a few seconds at a time.I know she has milk in her bag but she just wont let me milk her. or him eat. It took me and my kids to catch her this morning to get what I could get.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good news I was able to get another 32cc from the mother and to give the baby. she still wont take him but I was able to get more of her first milk for him I have already gave it to him and then in a few hours i will give him some formula that I use for bottle babies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts