Is Bose necessary for breeding.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by 91baby, Dec 9, 2013.

1. 91baby

91baby New Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Indianapolis, In
    We live in a low selenium area. Some breeders say to give Bose shot before breeding. Just wondering if this is necessary when free choice minerals are available which contain selenium.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is good to give 1 month prior to kidding, if they are deficient. But if they are not, they should be just fine, if indeed, they are eating their minerals and don't have mineral deficiency signs.
    When kids are born the Doe will not drop her Afterbirth and the kids will be a bit weak or crooked legged. Then you can give a shot to the Doe and her kids, if they need it. If this happens your Does aren't getting enough.

3. enchantedgoats

enchantedgoats New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    NEW HAMPSHIRE
    if you live in a low selenium area ,it could make the difference between the does settling or not. we also have minerals with selenium in it but find our peegnancy rate is higher in does that are given the selenium gel.

4. 91baby

91baby New Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Indianapolis, In
    So is the gel ok to use in place of a shot. My problem is that I don't have a regular vet, no goat vets in my area, and bose is Rx

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    We give BoSe shortly before breeding & again a week or two before kidding. Newborns hardly ever get it.

6. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    The gel is not as good as the shot but on a good note not as easy to od. But basically the gel is better then nothing by far and might be better to give if you are not seeing the examples Pam has stated above.

7. 91baby

91baby New Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Indianapolis, In
    No symptoms of defenciency and they eat minerals very well

8. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Then I would do nothing or the gel. Im in a selenium def. Area as well with no signs except for one doe not settling so tryed to Bose on her and it seems might have worked. What ever you do decide I would keep a tube on hand just in case ;) you get weak legged kids.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. Wild Hearts Ranch

Wild Hearts Ranch www.wildheartsranch.org

Dec 26, 2011
    Was wondering about this as well. I know we are selenium deficient, but I don't know when my girls were bred so wasn't sure if/when to give BoSe. But they all settled last year and this year, last year's kids were healthy, so I won't worry about it.

11. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    If you are feeding a loose mineral that is lower then 1000 ppm of selenium, then I would highly suggest bo se booster before breeding (bucks included) and then again before kidding.