The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in a low selenium area. Some breeders say to give Bose shot before breeding. Just wondering if this is necessary when free choice minerals are available which contain selenium.

·
Administrator
85,534 Posts
It is good to give 1 month prior to kidding, if they are deficient. But if they are not, they should be just fine, if indeed, they are eating their minerals and don't have mineral deficiency signs.
When kids are born the Doe will not drop her Afterbirth and the kids will be a bit weak or crooked legged. Then you can give a shot to the Doe and her kids, if they need it. If this happens your Does aren't getting enough.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
if you live in a low selenium area ,it could make the difference between the does settling or not. we also have minerals with selenium in it but find our peegnancy rate is higher in does that are given the selenium gel.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if you live in a low selenium area ,it could make the difference between the does settling or not. we also have minerals with selenium in it but find our peegnancy rate is higher in does that are given the selenium gel.
So is the gel ok to use in place of a shot. My problem is that I don't have a regular vet, no goat vets in my area, and bose is Rx

·
Super Moderator
14,768 Posts
The gel is not as good as the shot but on a good note not as easy to od. But basically the gel is better then nothing by far and might be better to give if you are not seeing the examples Pam has stated above.

·
Super Moderator
14,768 Posts
Then I would do nothing or the gel. Im in a selenium def. Area as well with no signs except for one doe not settling so tryed to Bose on her and it seems might have worked. What ever you do decide I would keep a tube on hand just in case ;) you get weak legged kids.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,340 Posts
Was wondering about this as well. I know we are selenium deficient, but I don't know when my girls were bred so wasn't sure if/when to give BoSe. But they all settled last year and this year, last year's kids were healthy, so I won't worry about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.