The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to use calf manna for my doe. She has a rough coat and she's a little thin, does calf manna help gain weight? Shes a Pygmy, how much would I feed her? Thanks:)

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Calf manna will help put weight on. It is 25% protein. I would start her slowly then move her up to 1 lb per day. I would also make sure there isn't anything else affecting her weight such as worms, lice, etc. You could try copper bolusing her to help with the rough coat if you haven't already.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, will it help with her two doelings too? And she doesnt have any copper signs except a rought coat and a little bit of fish tail. But she probably does need a worming.

·
Certified Codger
418 Posts
Calf Manna is great for adding weight, but Supremo Super Charger is a lot cheaper and appears to work as well. My goats love it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I still need to copper her but she doesn't have any rusty reddish on her at all? :chin:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Does she have any black fur? Only black fur will turn reddish, in my experience. My Nubian wether is red and white, and I noticed his coat felt rough and his hairs started to curl before I first bolused him. He was also having some of his red fur fade to white, Fish tails are a definite sign.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have any pics of her but she doesn't have any red on her but she has a rought coat and she's a little thin. Would she be thin from her twins nursing off of her too?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd give a copper boluse as well as worm her and add the calf manna. Even with loose minerals, and feed with in it copper it's very rare that goats don't need at least a dose or two a year.

We found this out the hard way. We had a doe with twins go down hill very fast, and we lost her. We had her UTD on wormer but she didn't respond to the wormers because she was low on copper. At first I thought she was starting to look poor because of the two bucklings on her. When we realized she was not responding to the wormer we pulled the kids off of her and reached out to some more experienced goat friends. We gave her a mulit min shot, but it was too late....if only I'd known what I know now.
Sorry for the sad story, but I'd hate for you to lose your girl too.

Jeffers now sales it already dosed for goats, and you can pop them open and mix it in oat meal or a in marshmallow.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your goat reminds me of my goat too. So I'll hury and give her a copper boluse!

well there is some stuff I want to order off of Jeffers:) so I'll order the copper. But do they come with gel capsules or do I have to buy them somewhere else?

·
Registered
319 Posts
umm I have fed calf manna to my horses and it good

1 - 14 of 14 Posts