Is Esther depressed??

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by justthemomforthejob, Mar 7, 2009.

1. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I agree there was probably another under lying problem and you shouldn't give up! :hug:

2. justthemomforthejob

justthemomforthejob Guest

Jan 22, 2009
    Do you think it could have been something genetic since they were sisters?? I just think it's so bizarre how they died within 72 hours of each other but nothing about their environment or care had changed in the least. I had had goat kids here before...never as my own "pets".

My friends do keep their two yard ornaments up at the barn and once the wether became very ill on Christmas Eve...but of course! NOTHING was open. I made it to the feed store and managed to set up a goat ICU in a large dog crate with a heating pad, etc. etc. and pulled him through pneumonia with some antibiotics I gave him IM and prayer. 6 years later, he is still going strong. I have also bottled raised orphaned goats for the local humane society and they did just fine...no problems in the least. They were very healthy when they went to their new homes.

I would really like to try again but wonder if I SHOULD. Maybe this was a message that I should stick to human kids. We were just approved to adopt three children from foster care...maybe I should just stick to what I do best.

No, I don't have a new doeling....my sister was the one who found that one. It had a sibling, a buckling, as CUTE AS PIE but I really didn't have any desire for a wether and something told me that Esther would not be alive when I got home so I didn't buy him. However, I have learned of a Pygmy Mommy and her little doeling that are at a rural animal shelter about a hour north of us. I am in contact with someone who works in animal rescue and who knows the shelter staff. She is going to talk to them and if they agree, she will transport the baby to us. I just don't know.........my confidence in goat raising is VERY low.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it very well could have been genetic, a strange case of depression or two fluke things that happened so close together.

I hope soemthing works out for you in the near future. :hug:

Congrats on the new kids to be a part of your family

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Why not get mom AND baby? Then when that baby is weaned you will have the benefit of milk earlier, and mom's do raise very friendly babies, provided the time is spent playing with them. I don't have bottle babies here and all of my kids born are imprinted from birth, very friendly and socialized. If you do get the pygmies, I think it would be best to get mom as well. Milk yield can be very high and is as sweet and as nourishing as ND milk.

5. justthemomforthejob

Jan 22, 2009
    Thanks, Stacey. I really do appreciate all the support from you guys. I will give it a little time and see what happens. Meanwhile, I plan to "lurk around" and learn all I can from you wise and helpful goat folks if that's OK.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Yes I agree, mom and baby would be great - they already have a bond and you wouldnt need to be trying to find another goat. Pygmy milk is one of the best milk out there!

Lurk all you want and ask questions. We are happy to help

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH my goodness. My heart just sank when I read this. PLEASE do not think it is you. I do agree that is might be something with them. I do not know if I missed it somewhere, but I do not remember the age, they could of had Cocci and it hits babies FAST.

By the way CONGRATULATIONS on being approved for to adopt three foster kids :clap: . That just proves you are a very loving and wonderful person that any goat would be so glad to call you MMMAAAAAAAAA.

Keep the faith and give some adorable goats a loving home.

8. justthemomforthejob

Jan 22, 2009
    I have been talking to a friend via the internet who raises Boers....she suggested late onset FKS and after reading up on it, I really think that could be it. The more I read, the more I think so. They were from a quad birth...one of their siblings died at about a week or so old. The man we got them from had another doe kid a couple of weeks later and I was set to get that doeling but she died at a few days old. Hmmmmmmmm.......bad luck on his part? He only had about 7 goats so that seems like a lot of dead kids to me for such a small, small herd.

If it was FKS that killed my doelings, do I need to do anything before bringing more goats in? I haven't read that far........

Thanks for the congrats on the children - we are very excited to adopt again (Our 18 month old daughter was our 1st adoption & has been such a wonderful experience & blessing!) and can't wait to be "matched". Our desire is for 1-3 children....any race...either sex, ages 0-5. Three more would bring our "grand total" to 9 children, 1 son-in-law & 1 grandson. :) Of course when one adopts from foster care, the reality of siblings of adopted children coming behind them is ever present so we could easily add more in the future, We would always want to remain open to our children's siblings.

Thanks also for all of the support. You all are so welcoming and just so plain nice!! I will stick around and learn all I can!

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dotn know much about FKS. I suggest you starte a topic and ask for input. That way you get the attention in this area that you need.

Yes that is very strange that so many kids died from one place. Last year I had one die and it was enough to send me over the edge into doing major overhall and sold a lot of goats because I was overcroweded. I want the best for my animals so I had to part with them even if i didnt want to. I have since had a barn built and new pen so I am all set for this year and with less goats :cool: