Is feeding really different in the winter?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by DappledBoers, Oct 1, 2014.

1. DappledBoers

DappledBoers New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    I'm pretty sure this is my second winter with goats but it might be my third I can't remeber.. But Iv never really noticed a difference in feeding in the winter verses the summer..
    Do you guys go through more hay or grain? I live in Michigan so it's not like a have an easy winter. But I didn't really pay attention last year to how much hay I fed them. And I don't think I have them any extra hay.

This will however be my first year with kids in the fall and raising them through winter. Will that be any different? The 4 sets of kids that I have raised were in March/May so there was snow on the ground and it was cold.
    I was just thinking about it today and I thought I would ask.. I think I'm going to enjoy only having 5 goats over the winter verses 10 last year!

2. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Hmmm I know I do but because I'm always kidding out in the winter. I know I've read articles about feeding more I just don't know if I do lol

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

3. Catahoula

Catahoula New Member

They may eat about the same but in the winter, I do supplement with my hay since they can't browse when the ground is covered with snow.

4. DappledBoers

DappledBoers New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Good point on the browsing.. That makes sense. But until we moved giats aren't used to browsing anyways

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I alwdys have my hay feeders full all the time but they do east more when the weather I'd bad and they are not out side eating.

6. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I add an extra feeding of hay in the winter to my goats and horses for warmth. I start when the temp drops to 20 and keep it up uintil it goes above 20 in the spring.

The grain amount stays pretty much the same, it depends more on their milking or stage of pregnancy.

I add soaked warm beet pulp to their grain in the winter for extra fiber and moisture.