Is free range making my goat fat?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by jenfrank, Sep 5, 2009.

1. jenfrank

jenfrank New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    My ND has complete free range of our 1.6 acres. It's a grassy yard with a few fruit trees... and plenty of blackberry vines and other things for her to browse on. I've heard that goats can be greedy, and will keep eating as long as they have something to eat. Is this true? And can she be getting fat from being free range?

2. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Unless she needs to stay in shape for a music video, it's probably not a bad sign if she's a little fat.

When it comes to a natural diet, mine have free range of nearly ten acres and when they get full they just slot up under the big tree down by the lake, chew cud and snooze. I forget the order, but goats have a four chambered stomach. It's not usual for mine to bulge a little on one side when they've stuffed it with grass and leaves. The volume will go down fairly quickly and later in the day when it cools off they'll be out filling the hopper again.

Mine eat all the time, but when food is plentiful, they get really persnickety about what the eat. Only the finest leaves and most tender shoots will do.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Some goats are easy keepers....in which... it doesn't take much... to get them fat....Goats do take breaks and lounge... when they're belly's are content.........

Goats can be picky...unless they are starving ..in which.. they are forced to eat ..what is there ..no matter good or bad... :wink: :greengrin:

4. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Just wait till she kids! She will need all of that fat and then some!

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Some goats look at food and get fat. (also known as an easy keeper) The best way to figure out if she is really too fat is her tail head she will get a roll there when she is over weight, you should be able to feel her ribs, but not really see them when she is standing straight. When they are fat they also get a roll behind their elbow. Goats are pretty boney animals. There is a very fine line between good and overweight.
    beth