The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just wondering what to feed for the summer, we have 2 acres of grass and weeds for them to rome do I still need Hay/and or grains? if so what cut should I get? and how much do I feed for (6) of them? we had hay in the winter but now we have all this other stuff....
thanks

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
If the grass is brown/dead other is not much proteine in it. You could buy a proteine tub and put out that's what I do during the summer with all my livestock

·
Super Moderator
58,252 Posts
What breed of goats? Are any pregnant, nursing or milking? Any males?

At minimum, you would want to offer a good loose goat mineral for them 24/7. But depending on what you use them for, it may be ok. I have hay out anyway but I also feed grain because I milk and have pregnant/nursing females.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
What breed of goats? Are any pregnant, nursing or milking? Any males?

At minimum, you would want to offer a good loose goat mineral for them 24/7. But depending on what you use them for, it may be ok. I have hay out anyway but I also feed grain because I milk and have pregnant/nursing females.
Good point on the questions, I like to just rush to a answer lol. Yes I also agree with both of them on the minerals ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they are dwarfs 2, 4.5 month old boy goats (1 neutered) and 1 buck and 3 female not pregnant we do have a mineral block and the grass and weeds are lush and green. and we also give some goat rations. is that enough?

·
Super Moderator
58,252 Posts
You really need a good loose goat mineral for them like Manna Pro Goat Mineral or Sweetlix Meatmaker Mineral. The blocks have too much molasses and not enough minerals to take care of their mineral needs.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
they are dwarfs 2, 4.5 month old boy goats (1 neutered) and 1 buck and 3 female not pregnant we do have a mineral block and the grass and weeds are lush and green. and we also give some goat rations. is that enough?
I agree with Karen on the loose mineral, but other than that it should be enough. How old are your females? Is the buck with them?

·
Goat Lover
386 Posts
Even if the buck is with the does, it's no big deal because it's how you want to manage your goats. It's really not a big deal and you're not a bad owner for it! :) Just because some people wouldn't put does and bucks together doesn't mean that it's wrong to do so. You may just have some trouble tracking down their due dates.

There are a few things you do need to take into consideration when keeping bucks and does together.
1- If your does are under a year old they could potentially be breed prematurely and it is fatally dangerous for the doe and kids. If the pregnancy goes well the doe may bout be a good mother due to the young age and less time to mature.
2- Does need to be separated when kidding until the kids are weened or strong enough to join the herd. Your buck could be mean to the kids this is something that needs to be considered.
3- It's a lot of stress on your buck to constantly be with does. They are constantly horny and it is rough on their heart. They also are crazy and harder to deal with because the are constantly wanting and thinking about that cute little doe across the way.
4- The does get tired and annoyed with constantly being "courted".
5-The doe may be bred too soon after pregnancy. This is could cause their health to deteriorate because of constantly popping out kids. It's almost like a puppy mill. It can be done but it's not humane or healthy for the goat to constantly pop out kids.

Those are just a few things to think about. I understand their are some circumstances where one may not have a place for a buck or a friend for him and the only way to have him is too keep them together. I'm not here to judge, only inform. My buck runs with my does. I know the risk, that's why when I get the extra money my buck is going to be surgically castrated and when I want my does bred I will get a stud.

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
they are dwarfs 2, 4.5 month old boy goats (1 neutered) and 1 buck and 3 female not pregnant
If your does are running with the bucks then they most certainly can be bred..Nigies are early breeders...I would move the does to their own pen ASAP...and hope they are not bred..( I am assuming of course they are with in the ages you listed.)

These are growing kids...I think they need more than just grass...loose mineral yes, a bit of grain and quality hay to help keep balance...grass alone unles its a well planned planting with different grasses mixed in is just not enough nutrician..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the does are 3.5 years,& 2 that are 2 years old, and the buck that is with them we were told he was a neutered but we are not sure, we had a different buck last year and he is removed. I will be getting hay this week and loose mineral too.

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
the does are 3.5 years,& 2 that are 2 years old
Oh good :D Then they are plenty old enough ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts