Is Guardian Needed if Goats Have Mini Barn?

Discussion in 'Precious Protectors' started by Dylann, Jun 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Dylann

Dylann Member

Jun 20, 2020
    NY
    Hi all, very new at this and feeling rather torn over whether a guardian animal (dog/llama/donkey) is needed to protect a few goats that will be kept within a 4' high-tensile woven wire fenced area with a coyote roller added on top. The enclosed barnyard will have a 10X16 mini barn where goats will be locked in from dusk to dawn (with plenty of ventilation of course!). Upstate NY area - potential predators are coyote, foxes, and bobcats. Thank you for any thoughts - just want them to be safe and protected.

Goataddict and MadHouse like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would think they should be fine.

Dylann and MadHouse like this.

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I would say that a 4’ fence is hardly even good enough for the goats let alone predators. I would do 6’.

Dylann and CountyLineAcres like this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Higher fence or get a guardian.

Dylann and Moers kiko boars like this.
  5. Dylann

Dylann Member

Jun 20, 2020
    NY
    They will be pygmy goats - is a 4' fence high enough to keep them in?

6. Dylann

Dylann Member

Jun 20, 2020
    NY
    Thank you!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Some predators can jump into their area.

Dylann, Moers kiko boars and Sfgwife like this.
  8. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    It would depend on how many predators you have and when you seel them. I keep my herd in a 6' fence - standard nubians, and lock them in at night. I had a couple of coyotes during the day though....... so not without problems

HMNS, Dylann, MadHouse and 2 others like this.
  9. Dylann

Dylann Member

Jun 20, 2020
    NY
    Got it, ok - more food for thoughts. Thanks folks!

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

My fence is 4' woven wire no climb. I lock my goats up at night. While I have foxes and coyotes and neighbor dogs, nothing has gone in my pasture area. It really depends on how aggressive the predators are.

11. Dylann

Dylann Member

Jun 20, 2020
    NY
    That's good to hear. We have security cams so if for some reason we see anything we don't like lurking around day or night, we can add another wire or two on top of the fence. We'll also be putting up a coyote roller, motion detector lights, radio that stays on at night, etc. to help keep things away. Fencing 400+ feet with high-tensile woven wire is so expensive at just 4 feet high, and out of budget for 6 feet high!

12. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I have a 4 ft fence. Just added a solar powered electric fence charger. Put the hot wire 6 inches above the fence. Its a Parmak. I love it. It bites hard. Nothing gets over it. They touch it once & scream. Hey it bit me so hard my teeth hurt
    So I really really like it. And its solar...no other charges!

HMNS, Dylann, toth boer goats and 2 others like this.
  13. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I have four foot woven wire and my goats do not get out. I have kinders which are half pygmy. I do have two giant livestock guardian dogs though, so I can't speak to predator control.

Dylann, Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  14. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    4’ works for me :shrug: but I do agree it depends on what predators and now aggressive they are on if you need a guard animal or not. I just have fairly timid coyotes that don’t like anything that looks like a trap so they respect the fence. The neighbors have learned that we have a zero tolerance for stray dogs when it comes to our livestock but I do have a strand of hot fence along the bottom just in case a dog does end up getting out on us.
    But if neighbor dogs are a issue for you I would probably consider a guard animal. They can actually cause more destruction then a wild animal since they kill for the fun of it not out of hunger like wild animals do

15. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    I have a 4 foot fence too. It has barbed wire on the inside of two woven wire sides and a wooden fence on the other two sides with the non barbed fence diving the bucks from the girls. I do wish it was buried into the ground though. Must be very proactive about covering up any holes that things could get in. We have predators pretty bad, but have only lost goats to dogs in the neighborhood who have dug under. The other predators usually go for the chickens and leave the goats alone. We have had run ins with bobcats, coyotes, foxes, and a bunch of smaller things like raccoons, I swear I saw a panther too, but no one believes me lol. We have cage traps set by the chickens. We have a spotlight that is motion censored by the house that faces the goat pasture, but isn’t in it. Ever sense we were helping to breed a girl’s goat and it got killed by what we think was dogs (very traumatic finding someone else’s goat dead on your property and having to tell them), we have kept bells on two of our goats. One bell on the wether in the buck pen. One on a doe in the pen with everyone else. This supposedly helps to scare predators because it makes noises when they run. Our dogs have also become very helpful. We have Brittanies. They aren’t livestock dogs, but letting them over to the goat pasture when they start barking has definitely saved us from a few dead animals, as they chase stuff away.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  16. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    I have a 4 feet fence as well keeps the goat in and offer adequate protection. Have you considered electric fencing zaps the goats going out and zaps what is trying to get in. Leave no space as goats and predators can go out and come in. The major predator in my area is the dogs. ( They decimated my entire chicken and rabbit population:(:mad:)

My dog ( though not a guardian) with her bark she scares things away and alerts us to intruders.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Dylann and Moers kiko boars like this.
  17. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    We have 4’ fence with hot wire on top and it works fine to keep goats in. Locking up at night will definitely help with predator pressure. Just make sure your fencing keeps stray dogs out.

18. Dylann

Dylann Member

Jun 20, 2020
    NY
    Thank you!! Very helpful.

19. Dylann

Dylann Member

Jun 20, 2020
    NY
    Interesting, definitely more inclined to go solar than the full electric wiring route so that's helpful to know. Thank you for the rec!

20. Dylann

Dylann Member

Jun 20, 2020
    NY
    Great points to think about, thank you. We've never actually seen coyotes in the past, just hear them down the road (and the opposite side) way back in the woods. There's a neighbor's pit bull who occasionally strays over here once a week or so that we shoo away easily, so if a convo is needed, will definitely have one! Will be installing no-dig wire mesh at the bottom of the whole fence to help deter the digging predators. Oy so much to consider!