Is Guardian Needed if Goats Have Mini Barn?

Discussion in 'Precious Protectors' started by Dylann, Jun 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Dylann

Dylann Member

Jun 20, 2020
    NY
    Thanks for sharing. And how awful about the other person's goat. :-( I can't imagine the position you were in. We're getting no-dig wire mesh installed at the bottom of the whole fence to hopefully be proactive. The spotlight that is motion sensored is an excellent idea, thank you. The bell is certainly something to consider too. I really appreciate you sharing your experiences/lessons learned!

Moers kiko boars and Ashlynn like this.
  2. Dylann

Dylann Member

Jun 20, 2020
    NY
    Yes have definitely considered it, but biggest worry is if it is safe for the animals? Read just a few (which was enough!) really sad stories about animals getting stuck and injured. Any experiences to share or have you found it entirely safe? And so sorry to hear about the chickens and rabbits, that's awful. :-(

3. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    If you wanted to do electric, I would put it on the outside. Goats are relatively easy to keep in regular fencing as long as there are no holes going under the fence, no things to help climb over the fence, and the gate is at an appropriate height off the ground to where it can swing well but not let them slip under. Predators getting in would be the main issue. You could have regular fencing and then strands of solar electric fencing on the outside to deter things from getting in. That way the goats are less likely to get stuck, but you still have the electric protection.

4. Dylann

Dylann Member

Jun 20, 2020
    NY
    Ahh that makes total sense, thank you.

Moers kiko boars and Goataddict like this.
  5. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Yes it is safe for animals. It delivers a shock that after the animal won't forget and will make the connection that the fence means trouble and getting zapped. I would think they would stay away from the fence or certain distance not close enough to get stuck in it. The point @Ashlynn made is okay as well. It really depends on the user though.
    Thanks it can be though sometimes.

HMNS, Ashlynn and Moers kiko boars like this.