The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we got a new goat-Clancy-he's 4 months old & a fainter...our other 2 are ND/Pygmy(14months & 10months) mixes and are the sweetest things(so I thought). All of them are wethers. The older one pretty much ignores the new one unless he gets in his way but when Clancy goes to get out the way Willie is fine with that & lets him go.

But Ducky is a whole different story-I really think he is jealous(of me!) and seems to be very territorial even to the point of not wanting him to sleep in the same area as them...If Ducky sees me showing any attention to the new one he will run over and chase him off...but when Clancy tries to get out of the way Ducky will continue after him & since Clancy is a fainter his little legs wont let him get away quick enough. We have had to actually step in & man handle Ducky a couple of times now.

I really want to keep the little guy but not at the risk of him getting hurt. I know he will evenutally get bigger(actually he will be bigger then our other 2) but what til then? It seems as long as I ignore him then Ducky is ok. Will they all eventually just play nice or should I not try to keep a fainter with regular goats? Its killing me to watch them exclude him :(

·
Super Moderator
59,784 Posts
They will have to work out a herd order. It is much harder to introduce one goat to a herd than it is 2 goats.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had one that was relentless on my new girl, so I took her (the offender) out of her pen, put her in another for 3 months. Now she is still bossy after I put her back in but the other girl has more confidence so it works out fine.
We have actually blocked off a section thinking we might use it to separate our offender but there is not a shelter in that area and it is small...it would be more like a time out for him and I'm not sure if that would help or hurt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts