The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't figure out why my young buckling is so fat. He only gets maybe half a pound or a little more of feed a day (mix of grain, alfalfa, BOSS and a tiny bit of kelp and minerals) he has access to grass, hay and water all the time, and he certainly doesn't look sick. He acts normal, LOVES his food when he gets it, his coat has been getting shinier all the time since we got him a month or so ago. He was dewormed about three weeks ago, and treated for cocci.
I'm probably going to deworm again in a few days, but is that even the problem here?
Oh, and he doesn't feel or look bloated to me. His rumen is not hard or anything, and he doesn't act like he's in pain at all. I have not fed him hardly anything in the last two days, because I thought I was feeding too much, but he's still fat.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry I couldn't get better pictures. It's so bright out today I couldn't see. H looks fatter in real life.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
looks to have nice good rumen - you can likely cut his grain ration in half and limit his intake of grass and hay. But really he just looks like he has a healthy rumen and not overweight.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope that's all it is! He just looks too fat to me, I don't know.. His grass intake is fairly limited because he with a nigerian buck in a smallish pen that we just built, so they're eating that grass down right now, and it's getting sparse. We just started giving them hay again today.

Do you think it's odd that he didn't get any thinner since I stopped feeding him as much?

·
Alpine Addict!
2,264 Posts
Well....I like to see that capacity in mine, it means they are easy keepers and throw good capacity in their kids. Nice boy, by the way ;)

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
He is definitely not fat. He has a large rumen which makes his belly look large, but looking at his hip and shoulder there isn't much fat on him.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reassurance! I intend to post better pics of him soon so Little Bits and Pieces can judge him (and my girls) soon, but idk how soon I'll have a chance to, just keep an eye out, I'll do it sometime! :)

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Yes, I agree. He's not fat. But he's got a big belly. He looks pretty normal and healthy to me. I wouldn't worry about it. I know alfalfa can sometimes make them a bit more round than other types of hay/grass hay will.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I agree......he's not fat just healthy :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts