Is it always easy to sell registered kids?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by PineRiver, Jan 24, 2008.

1. PineRiver

PineRiver New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I am just getting into breeding my registered Nigerians. My first kidding last spring gave me a doeling I retained but this years kids will not be able to stay w/ us. I am worried about how my areas economy is and if people in my community are even buying goats w/ times being so rough. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on what to expect when it comes time to sell these guys. We live in Michigan and believe me, things are tough around here. I may even decide to wait to breed, but I really think the funnest part of having goats of good lines is to have kiddings. I would like to hear if anyone thinks it was really hard to sell their kids. I cry every time that commercial comes on about all the animals needing adopting etc. and it takes the fun out of deciding to breed animals if they won't have loving homes. Thanks.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if you have good bloodlines and a place to advertize (I recomend a website and placing adds on free classifieds websites) then you shouldn't have a problem selling them.

3. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I think it depends on where you are located at and like Stacey said the bloodlines. I plan on starting with a couple of registered Nigis this year myself to see how well they sale before jumping in head first. I don't know how well they will do around here since very few people even know what Nigerian Dwarfs are in this area, but I have my website up and running good so that should help. It will be interesting to see the responses you get on here about everyone else's experiences :greengrin:

4. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    It depends on the bloodlines, how they are advertised, and whether or not they are shown and how well they done, whether or not their sire/dam are shown and how they done, also conformation.

So to answer your question, honestly...sometimes no registered kids aren't easy to sale. Most of the time they are.

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    fcnubian made some excellent points.

I sold a couple of boers for meat to a local Hispanic family. These boys were not registered.

We brought some girls to a couple of shows....a couple was in the market for a registered Nubian. We happened to have one. They came they saw they bought.

Yes the economy is not great. But there are peeps out there who want either milk or meat, depending on what you have available. If you can show if for no other reason than getting your name out there go for it. Not to mention meeting other goat folks. If there is a goat club in your area check it out!

6. PineRiver

PineRiver New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Michigan
    That all makes sense. I have a son who is 8 and he wanted to get into the 4-H showing and all but I believe that I have heard he cannot show a goat until he is 9 which puts us another year from this summer so this year may have to be done without us showing. I guess I don't know where adults show goats around here. If anyone knows how adults show goats please let me know. I guess if it gets hard to find homes for these kids that I can donate them to other 4-H kids but it would be nice to bring in some sort of money if only to put it all towards some of my hay bills or something.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  8. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I know what you mean about Michigan. We moved out of there in '06 because the economy was awful. If you advertise well, you should be able to sell them. Also, try to advertise in more rural areas and where the economy is good.

9. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I know in some places you can sell full-sized milkers to dairy's. Although those sales aren't always dependable from year to year-if no one is interested in buying does for a dairy. They are however more profitable than shipping good quality does to a sale yard, where your lucky if they even go for $100. PineRiver some fair's have shows for the kids who are not yet old enough to be in 4-H. I've seen some of them that almost do better than some of the older kids do. And it never hurts to get your kids working with animals at a young age. If you have enough does to make it worthwhile you may be able to sell goats milk. We cannot sell it for human consumption in Idaho unless you go through all the red tape which here it is a pain in the neck to. So, if we sell any it is strictly for animal consumption. Although now and days we need all of our goats milk to feed baby goats, calves, and pigs. I cringe at the thought of folks just dumping milk out on the ground. There's so much that it can be used for. We also make soap and cheese to.