Is it bad that I just want to share this experience? :)

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by Schroeder_Farms, Jan 29, 2019.

1. 1

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. 2

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. 3+

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Schroeder_Farms

Schroeder_Farms New Member

May 14, 2018
    This is my first kidding experience. I have two beautiful Boers that are due anytime. They were with Jack (our buck) from August 1st until October, so could be any day. Sunday we moved them into our little make-shift kidding pens so they are warm. Its suppose to get down to -50 with wind chills tomorrow. I will post more pics along my journey, but the girls look healthy and HUGE! They are 1.5 years old and they are sisters, these are their first babies!!!

2. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Welcome to our site with goat-lovers! Happy kidding season!

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    How exciting! Your two does look great. I hope they wait until after this cold snap to kid!

Don't forget to get them out of the kidding jugs for good exercise each day as that is what helps the kids get into birthing position.

4. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Yes, that is suggested for pregnant humans, too, isn't it?

5. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Welcome to TGS, there's a lot of great information on cold weather kidding here. Enjoy

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome, there is no set number in kidding.
    I have had first timers have a single, twins, trips.
    You never know.

7. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    And i once had the kids born in a stable with minus 10° Celcius indoors. No problems, only with the water constantly freezing. The youngsters' first deed in life was to get themselves a thick pelt, they looked like jumping teddy bears all of them!

But I was not so glad about the land lord shutting off the power. This caused the old billy to get pneumonia and die.

Hey, I got this answer in the wrong thread! Should be in the Cold Weather Tread. Moderator, be free to move my entry!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  8. gwith

gwith Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2014
    Weatherford, Tx
    Ours are usually twins, but I did have a first timer have 4 a couple of weeks ago. I want 2 every time. It is just easier for me.

GoofyGoat and toth boer goats like this.
  9. Robinsonfarm

Robinsonfarm Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Congratulations, waiting on babies is the hardest!!!

Agree with the others above, they really need exercise while they are pregnant. It helps keep them healthy and make labor a little easier on them. Especially with no set due date I would prefer to keep them out in a bigger pen to be able to move around and lock them up when they show signs of being in labor

toth boer goats likes this.
  10. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    the nice thing about mother nature is that she doesn't like super cold weather. several years ago we had 6 days of -10 weather right in the middle of lambing season.
    not a single lamb was born till the cold was about to break. between midnight and 2 AM i had 22 lambs born. it was -10 but by 6AM it was 15F
    watch the barometric pressure when it is changing that is when you will kid.

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Do you have a link to that thread?

Trollmor likes this.
  12. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
  13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hmm, that one is a different subject.

Hopefully we can pen point it soon. ;)

14. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    I feel we sort of hijack this thread now ... :p ;)

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. Schroeder_Farms

May 14, 2018
    Update, still no kids :( In fact now one of them doesn't even look like she is pregnant lol. We have gotten to the point that they are free in their pen to roam about, no more locking up. The weather is much better. Some snow but not near as cold as it was.

So for you folks that are experts at this.....what does it mean when a goat doesn't look like she is pregnant anymore? She is still thick, and much bigger than normal, her teats (sp?) are larger, but still not a noticeable milk bag....I'm just hoping she IS pregnant :) The other has quite a full milk bag and she is still showing a lot.

17. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Closer to delivery they "drop" so to speak as the babies move into position, the doe appears hollowed out at the hips and is carrying much lower. Maybe this is what happened? But if she does not have any udder development she is not likely to be bred.

What is the last possible due date?

18. Schroeder_Farms

May 14, 2018
    I have to think back, but I think we pulled them out of the Buck pasture around October, so we still have a good month and half I think that she could still give birth. She is the one in the top picture. She started showing earlier and is a lot thicker than the other one. Diane, the other doe is bulging more at the sides than Jill. They just look different I guess.

SalteyLove likes this.
  19. Schroeder_Farms

May 14, 2018
    BCA15FBB-6D78-4FA4-B17D-F58A4860222E.jpeg 58E9F887-C8ED-4C78-88A5-6C45C8B738D2.jpeg Guess who just arrived yesterday!! A sweet little girl! I named her Sweetpea :)