Is it common for kids to look like their parents?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by JumpingGoat, Sep 24, 2017.

1. JumpingGoat

JumpingGoat Member

Mar 10, 2016
    Is it common for kids to look like their parents? This year we have so far had two does who where bred to the sane buck have kids. The first girl had twins, a doe and a buck. The doe looks almost exactly like her dad and the boy looks exactly like his mum and almost identical to another kid that this doe had a couple of years ago. Then the second doe had a single buck who has very similar colouring and paterns to her except he is a bit darker.
    Its not a issue at all but im just very curious if this is common

2. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Active Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    Yep. Although most of my kids from 2016 - eight of them altogether - took after their grandparents.

3. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    Kids actually only get like 29% of their genetic physical attributes from their parents. They get the rest from their grand parents. This is why its always a good idea to look at the older generation. This is also why people try to plan breedings that the characteristics they are looking for fall on the odd number. 1-3-5-7 (grand parent- great great great grand parent and so on).

4. ArborGoats

ArborGoats Active Member

Jan 24, 2013
    This is very interesting. So let's say I wanted to improve hind ends (steep rump and straight legs) it would be most important that the buck's grandparent's had these characteristics, then its parents? Or I am simply looking at the buck's parents because they would be the future kids' grandparents?

As for colors, I have found the breed plays a large part of it as well, certain coat patterns are more dominant which can help with the colors appearing similar.

5. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    So far NONE of mine have looked like either their sire or their dam. Methinks aliens come with spray paint and change things up. ;-)

Kayla T, goatblessings and Goat_Scout like this.
  6. ArborGoats

ArborGoats Active Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Do they look like their grandparents?

7. JumpingGoat

JumpingGoat Member

Mar 10, 2016
    That is intresting. I don't know much about many of my goats parents, i met my bucks parents but that is it. I have a doe due any day now and i own her mother and have pics and have met her father more than once so it will be intresting to see how much they take on from them

8. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Almost all of my kids look like their sire. The few that don't look just like their dam.

Granted- my Nubian buck is the spitting image of his sire, who looks just like his sire, who looks like his sire. So, there is the grandparent link with them. It's like the dam didn't add any genetic material to the mix. My boys grandsire came from the Saada herd, so that may explain it, some pretty strong genetics in that herd.

My Lamancha buck is a perfect mix of both his parents, it's like they were thrown into a mixer to create him- a total blending of both. lol I can only guess at the grandparents because I have never seen any pics of them.

And then, there is my Nigerian buck. Another case similar to the Saada herd. The herd his genetics came from were like a cookie cutter. She had taken animals from the top herds in the US to create her original herd (many, many years ago). Any new animals, while not related, were very close in looks. Long, level, incredible production and structure, only the colors were different. You can tell at a glance which kids are his, they are pretty much clones. I wish I could find a couple of does from her herd (she sold out last year) to add to mine, since i have no ND does, only the minis. I want to keep his line as a ND going, along with the mini's.

9. GaGoats2017

GaGoats2017 Active Member

Sep 5, 2017
    I have some that will have random colored kids. Black does that will have traditional and Red kids, traditionals that have paint kids, it's always a surprise with some.

But I do have a traditional colored boer doe, that has been bred to the same solid red buck every year. And every year she gives me 1 single big beautiful red doe kid, with 2 white feet. Every one of her kids look exactly the same year after year. I love it haha.

This is her doe kid from this year, compared to her doe kid from last year. They are all identical even to this day, other than the spots are on different feet. I wish I had pictures of her other doe kids too, looks like they are all cloned lol.
    IMG_0888.JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

catharina and Goat_Scout like this.
  10. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    Its best to look at both the parents and the grand parents and so on. Even at only 29% you are still getting a significant amount of physical attributes from the parents. As we are all aware, there are sometimes when a kid is born that is far beyond its entire blood line. And on the flip side, some nasty traits from the past can creep up at any time. I have an American Alpine doe whos pedigree can be traced back well beyond 10 generations and at some point, there has to be a Nubian mixed in somewhere. She has a roman nose, longer ears and her body type resembles Nubians of old. So you never really know what you are going to get. But by looking as far back as you can in to an animals blood line, you will be able to get a better idea of what physical traits seem dominate and breed accordingly. Now most people will not have this option available unless they are a top breeder. But by looking at even the grand parents, it will give you a better idea of what to expect.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Goat_Scout and ArborGoats like this.
  11. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    I'm not really sure. I haven't seen their grandparents!

12. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    You sure have an interesting life of the mind, groovy!

Alien Graffiti Artists....Best one yet.