The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can't go to craigslist without seeing a BOER for sale. ( well I mean if your looking at the goats) has anyone else noticed? I guess there just a popular breed right now.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Boers are a meat breed and used A LOT in 4H. Right now is the time to buy for 4H which is likely why you see so many of them available. I believe they are also a breed that has a true breeding season so we are just at the tail end of the kidding season for it :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boers are a meat breed and used A LOT in 4H. Right now is the time to buy for 4H which is likely why you see so many of them available. I believe they are also a breed that has a true breeding season so we are just at the tail end of the kidding season for it :)
Thank you so much! That makes a lot of since, hopefully the season will die down soon, i'm ready to get a milking goat. I don't want a Boer!!!!! Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Some of the milking breeds I believe follow the same schedule. Some breeds can be bred year round but quite a few are seasonal. Its kidding season now for a lot of breeds so I'd start searching out breeders now. I joined a couple local facebook goat groups and that has been what has helped me find the two I have. Ironically neither were actually posted but people messaged me about them!

There is also a classified section of the forum you can check :) I know a few members here also sell their babies

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Texas is big Boer country, so is KY. Consider a Boer mix? I milk my Boers and Boer crosses. Only of my best producers is a Boer/Nubian cross. The milk is delicious.

Some benefits...

You should be able to find bucks easily, and the kids will bring more at the meat markets than dairy kids.

Reactions: OpieDoodle

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I have milked Nubians, Alpines, LaManchas, NDs and crosses of those breeds but still would prefer the milk and attitude of the Boers (yes I milk my Boers!) right now I have the ideal milk goat IMO 1/2 Boer 1/2 LaMancha, Boer milk is the richest and creamiest of all breeds and they can still make quite a bit like 1/2 gal day from a PB, FF Boer doe I had years ago, like dairy they produce more each freshining, I can post pics if you want

·
Fair-Haven
4,614 Posts
I second what OpieDoodle said. This is kidding season for dairy as well. If you are on facebook, you can join a group for your area - lots of people advertise there, also do a google search for your area, many really good breeders have their own website. Lots of times breeders have reservations for kids, and any milkers or yearlings they are selling, so it's good to search now.

·
14,726 Posts
You are in the heart of Boer country - Texas is a major state for Boer goat breeders and also the home of the American Boer Goat Association.

Boer are growing in popularity for market and for showing/breeding. The colored Boer goats, especially loud dappled goats are in high demand, and quality of those colored animals is improving as well.

·
14,726 Posts
BAH BOERS bring on the mini geughts wave!
Below is current price near us, and that's really good for this time of year. I've seen it go over $4lb in the spring, but haven't paid much attention otherwise as we haven't sold anything at market in a long time.

Good 'average' commercial breeding does sell for around $350+, Bucks vary.
Registered does and bucks, for decent quality is $300+.
For higher quality you won't normally touch anything under $800 for a doe, and $500 for a buck.
We sold our registered doe kids last for $300-800, and buck kids $300-650. My son's buck sold for $1500. We just bought 2 new buck kids with 2/3 of the $$ from the adult buck and seller told me if they had been does they would have sold for $2500 each.
That's just in my area... We've had people drive for hours to come and get goats from us. I made a 9hr round trip to pick up our new boys. It's all a gamble of course as with anything. But... Boer goats are doing well :)

upload_2019-2-21_14-49-20.png

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Below is current price near us, and that's really good for this time of year. I've seen it go over $4lb in the spring, but haven't paid much attention otherwise as we haven't sold anything at market in a long time.

Good 'average' commercial breeding does sell for around $350+, Bucks vary.
Registered does and bucks, for decent quality is $300+.
For higher quality you won't normally touch anything under $800 for a doe, and $500 for a buck.
We sold our registered doe kids last for $300-800, and buck kids $300-650. My son's buck sold for $1500. We just bought 2 new buck kids with 2/3 of the $$ from the adult buck and seller told me if they had been does they would have sold for $2500 each.
That's just in my area... We've had people drive for hours to come and get goats from us. I made a 9hr round trip to pick up our new boys. It's all a gamble of course as with anything. But... Boer goats are doing well :)

View attachment 148115
That is impressive. It must feel wonderful to you and your kids to raise goats with that value!

Reactions: MadCatX

·
Registered
56 Posts
there are a lot of Boers around us as well., popular breed...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts