Is it legal to give raw milk to someone?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Feira426, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    It’s easy to find info on the laws on raw milk sales in my state (Texas), but I want to give some to a friend for free, and am having trouble making sure that I wouldn’t be crossing any legal borders by doing so. Does anyone know if there are laws on this, or who I could contact to find out? Been searching online but haven’t found anything yet.

CaramelKittey likes this.
  2. SandyNubians

SandyNubians Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    There shouldn't be any problems with it. If there is I have broken the law a lot!

Really, even if there is, there isn't much anyone can do. It would be almost impossible for anyone to find out, and even if they did, what can they do? I give milk to my neighbors, to friends and family. I do it every year. One of my neighbors has cows, and they give me some of their milk now and again too. As long as you aren't advertising it for sale on places like FB or CL, and not just giving it to people you don't know you should be ok. For all anyone knows, it could just be for their pets or soap making. Or its just some fresh cows milk.

3. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    In WA it’s illegal to “sell, barter, trade, or give away...” without a license. If you’re worried about it, make sure to check!

4. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

In NC we label it “not for human consumption” and what they do with it when they leave here is none of my business. Do not tell me before you leave here what you are doin with it either. :)

5. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    That’s what I’m concerned about, but I haven’t been able to figure out what the actual law says in its entirety, because it’s not coming up in my Google searches. And I’m not sure what organization I can contact to ask about it.

6. cristina-sorina

cristina-sorina Well-Known Member

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    Could you call some raw milk dairys in your state and see what they say about your situation?

CaramelKittey and Feira426 like this.
  7. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I think the only worry would be if that person reported you because they got sick or something. So, just give it to nice people! :)

CaramelKittey and Iluvlilly! like this.
  8. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
  9. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
  10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Looks like that gives you a state department to call. Just look at the top.

11. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    I sent an email. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

I thought Ranger1 meant there was something about it in one of those articles, but dang are they long, and super legal-ish.

12. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    It’s in the links, but yeah it’s long and legal-ish, LOL.

CaramelKittey and Feira426 like this.
  13. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    I’ll pick through it more thoroughly when I have more time. Lol. Thanks again!

14. Mike at Capra Vista

Mike at Capra Vista Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Vancouver Island
    Do your milk regulations differentiate between milk for human consumption and other?
    If not, then I would be surprised if the labelling would provide any legal protection.

15. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    in NC you cannot sell it for human consumption unless you are a large licensed dairy. I dont know of any goat dairies only cow. The not for human consumption so long as i do not know what they do with it takes that liability from us. Because in theory technically... they are not to use it for humans.

CaramelKittey and GoofyGoat like this.
  16. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Just be careful. Ive dumped hundred of pounds of milk (due to the cheese guy having a health dept. problem). Everyone yelled, why didn't I call them. (Good,clean, cooled, raw, milk in a bulk tank) . No way. My farm and property is too valuable for the absolutely minute chance someone (yes friends) could sue me because of any perceived illness or reaction.
    Labeling for "pet use" or "not for human consumption", won't work if the right lawyer gets ahold of it.
    I'm not saying anyone would sue, but it pays to be cautious.

17. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I went to a clinic yesterday, where they talked about this. Just giving it to a friend, is fine, but if you want to contact the guy that came and spoke to us, then i can PM you his number.

18. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    What clinic? At a show? I really need to start going to some.

19. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    That would be great. I actually just heard back from the DHSH and the person who emailed me said "The definition of sale in the Texas Administrative Code on Milk and Dairy rules includes gift giving. To give milk you would also need a license."

But they also said their department does not issue licenses for selling milk for soap or other crafts, and that they have not heard of a license that would be needed for that.

So I guess I can sell milk labeled for craft use, but if I even give it to a friend for drinking I could get fined. Weird.

J4Julz and CaramelKittey like this.