The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
goats can pant like dogs, and can sweat like horses do. Makes sense to have different methods of temperature control for a species that is so wide-spread geographically.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's been in the 80's the last few days. I've just never seen him do it but he keeps on playing so it doesn't seem to stop him I just wanted to be sure.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mine pant if they've just been running across the pasture or if it's hotter than usual. They'll stop panting when they adjust (with a drink of water or shade).

·
Registered
226 Posts
My ND was panting a lot at one point. Mostly because he'd be more interested in talking to me than he was breathing. I'd say the panting is normal.

·
Super Moderator
83,097 Posts
It is that time of year, the weather is changing to hotter and the goats need to adapt to it, it takes a little time.
Watch them close and if they stop eating ect, Get a temp after they cool down out of the sun and haven't been running around. It is normal for them to pant when it is hot out. Be sure they have clean water and shade.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just searched this because my boy is doing this atm... first proper hot day it's 37 (98) hot!! They have lots of water and shade so they should be ok

·
8,161 Posts
Goats generally do not sweat, panting is the only way to get rid of excess heat. So, if you are sweaty, it's ok if they are panting! ( some have sweat glands, but can't sweat like horses do).

·
Super Moderator
83,097 Posts
Just keep an eye on them, with that kind of temperature up and down, it is hard on them. Panting is a way, they try to adapt to it. Do know, some can get pneumonia, so if any go off feed or are not right, get a temp. If high, start antibiotics.

They may even gets colds, with a runny nose.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's over 100 here in SoCal. My 1st yr lamancha pants. When she's nervous, when she's not getting her way, or is alarmed. She doesn't do it just when it's hot.. and, only my la mancha bred pants.. but, my mini nubs, big nubians, and myotonics, mini Nigerians don't seem to have an issue with heat..
Idk..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Some individual goats and even different breeds can be more bothered by the heat, or other stressors. The Lamancha breed was created in temperate Oregon while Nubians and Nigerians have more African and warm weather locales involved in their origin.
Definitely make sure to encourage fluid intake and provide shade and airflow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
squirels AND rabbits seem to be the stressors. We caught them on Camara. And the baby's are 1/2 her size at 6 weeks. That's why I'm weaning. She was a bottle/city girl. Spoiled rotten..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just keep an eye on them, with that kind of temperature up and down, it is hard on them. Panting is a way, they try to adapt to it. Do know, some can get pneumonia, so if any go off feed or are not right, get a temp. If high, start antibiotics.

They may even gets colds, with a runny nose.
Thank u.
No fever, yes a runny nose. CLEAR mucus though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What is the temp in your area?
50 at night, 80 during day. Have shade and plenty of water. Put ice blocks in water on hot days and mist them down.
Only my la manchas pant. My other 3 breeds are fine.
Thank you. La manchas are flip floppers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts